Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of very few ways of talking about cars with women is the history behind car badges, some of them are quite interesting.

But i can't seem to find out whats the story behind the Opel badge (danger, high voltage? thunder?) whats with that? you wouldn't hapen to know, huh?

·
Driver
987 Posts
I know it's a Blitz and that is Lightning in German.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
maybe the blitz logo is symbolic of speed? from what i hear they had some fast cars in the early century.

·
1,175 Posts
In German the term Blitz does seem to represent speed as in something that's "lightning fast". The speedometer does go up to 150 mph after all, whatever that means. Maybe that's kind of like the band "Spinal Tap" whose amps, according to band member Nigel Tufnell, had a volume control that went all the way up to an impressive "11" instead of a measly "10".

BDD

·
1,175 Posts
In the early part of the century (the 1920's and 30's) company founder Adam Opel experimented with rocket propelled cars and a rocket propelled glider. These projects got a lot of publicity at the time. I think that he also had race cars built. This would go well with the advertising idea of the blitz logo. It's a nice looking emblem too.

BDD

·
1,175 Posts
Plans for a model of the rocket launched glider were published in the 1950's in Air Trails magazine or Flying Models magazine. I suppose that a Google search might turn some things up.
BDD

1 - 7 of 7 Posts