Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,524 Posts
This brings us to the never ending cycle of is a GT worth the asking price? There are a couple strato blue GT's for sale right now that are overpriced in my opinion. The cars aren't perfect. If they were, maybe they would be worth the asking price. Something that impacts this discussion is private sales. We can't force people to disclose the sale price in a private sale but that info would help. I don't believe Keith will tell us what some of his GT's have sold for, or how much has been spent on some of his GT's. But this info would help the community. It could influence valuation guides.

·
Registered
279 Posts
This brings us to the never ending cycle of is a GT worth the asking price? There are a couple strato blue GT's for sale right now that are overpriced in my opinion. The cars aren't perfect. If they were, maybe they would be worth the asking price. Something that impacts this discussion is private sales. We can't force people to disclose the sale price in a private sale but that info would help. I don't believe Keith will tell us what some of his GT's have sold for, or how much has been spent on some of his GT's. But this info would help the community. It could influence valuation guides.
Hi Joe, we constantly hear from people who have sold their GT and people who have bought a GT. They will always share what they sold it for and what they bought it for if we ask. Over the past two years one thing is clear ... people outside of the Opel Community value these cars a lot more than people inside of the Opel Community.

With regards to perfect or not: with other marquis' like Porsche, the original cars with it's life long patina will often fetch more money than a perfect one. You never know what floats someone's boat with regards to buying a classic car! :)

It does seem like it\s a very good time to have a "Classic Opel" these days ")

Richard @ OGTS

·
Detritus Maximus
2,833 Posts
I think the thing that people miss on articles like these is that it is not the hardcore Opel people driving up prices. Its the 'other' people getting priced out of the market on the already 'cool' stuff and looking for alternatives.

Reactions: Autoholic

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,524 Posts
Over the past two years one thing is clear ... people outside of the Opel Community value these cars a lot more than people inside of the Opel Community.
Richard @ OGTS
Thanks for sharing that. Knowledge is power and ignorance is bliss. So, people who know Opels refuse to pay more while people who don’t, compare the purchase more to other classics. They wind up paying more and that impacts the market. So, it makes sense that you’re observing this and seeing people outside the community appreciating Opels more.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,833 Posts
That is the other part I forgot about. People that knew of Opel 'back in the day' also knew where they fit in the grand scheme of things. This meant you liked them for their simplicity/reliability/etc or you dismissed them as having no pedigree (cheap, dull, no real enthusiast status). Even more so today, people have no sense of where Opel fit into that grand scheme and have no bias against them because of it. They have a fresher honest perspective that allows them to like or dislike without baggage.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,833 Posts
Or....if there is more public interest and the prices go up, that maybe, just maybe VS will finally spend some time and maintain/fix this forum!

Reactions: kwilford

·
Super Moderator
5,918 Posts
Or....if there is more public interest and the prices go up, that maybe, just maybe VS will finally spend some time and maintain/fix this forum!
I hesitate to make promises on behalf of VerticalScope, but I have been having some success this past week in discussing some of the current platform's deficiencies with the VS admin support folks.

The main deficiency that ESPECIALLY irks me is the inability to see the sub-forums listed under the "Main Technical Forums" while using the (apparently outdated but not yet replaced) AutoGuide app for browsing this Forum on an Android phone. With luck, that should be resolved shortly.

The other major deficiency is the loss of the downloaded pdf's of the Factory Service Manual and associated wiring diagrams. A VS tech has been working on that this past few days, and proposed a solution this evening.

Dare to dream, Billy, date to dream...

·
Detritus Maximus
2,833 Posts
That is good to hear Keith, thank you.

·
Registered
770 Posts
people outside of the Opel Community value these cars a lot more than people inside of the Opel Community.
You could attribute that to 2 things perhaps:

1 - People in the Opel community are familiar with prices, and know they can be picked up cheap. People outside the community just like what they see and it feels more valuable. A knowledge gap in the market so the buyer is setting the price more than the seller.

2 - People in the Opel community are aware of where to find them, people outside the community might rarely see them come up for sale.

I have been having some success this past week in discussing some of the current platform's deficiencies with the VS admin support folks.
I wonder if they got back into the office post-Covid.

On another forum, after having a 3-month long ignored request for new moderators, two days ago someone finally replied, and they actually responded and acted and promoted a moderator.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,833 Posts
I wonder if they got back into the office post-Covid.

On another forum, after having a 3-month long ignored request for new moderators, two days ago someone finally replied, and they actually responded and acted and promoted a moderator.
Seems to me that would a be a perfect job for working from home....I can't imagine an IT person not having good internet service at home.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts