Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Vendor
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting question from our friends over at Jalopnik.

My Pops had a bunch of cool stuff when we were kids. I guess my favorite(s) were the TR-3s. I think he had a red '58 and a black '60.
I even had "flashlight holding duty" when he needed to work on them (which was frequently) Even as a wee tyke, I remember sitting in the passenger seat and being able to touch the sidewalk. Pics below are not his actual cars, but nice examples of these fun little cars.
Cheers,
Ron in FL
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Grille
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
The Young One
1,177 Posts
My dad had a 1998 Mustang GT convertible, 2 1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4s, 2005 Corvette. I don't know which one I would pick. I never saw the mustang and the black vr4. The corvette was pretty fun on the highway and it would get sideways going around turns. The red vr4 that he just sold was pretty fun since is was a 5 speed unlike the corvette and when the turbos kicked in it was awesome!

·
Vendor
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I don't know I never met him :poop:
I think I remember my mother saying he had a barracuda though
Good point Terry. I think the original question was in recognition of Father's day (last Sunday) but we should open it up to both parents. My Mom's favorite car was an orange 1970(?) Cadillac Deville. Cool by today's standards, I suppose, but back then, just a rusting hulk of a jalopy that needed an airplane runway to parallel park on our street.

·
Solo II is fun in a GT!
548 Posts
1973 Yellow VW Type 181 it looked like this one.
We lived in Kailua (Oahu) Hawaii and I could fit 7 surfboards in that VW Thing.

·
Super Moderator
14,629 Posts
My dad, and by default both my parents, have had the following cars.

-1965 Mustang (289 2-bbl w/ 3- speed manual)
-1967 Plymouth Fury 3 convertible (318 w/automatic)
-1972 Toyota Corolla wagon (2TC w/4-speed)
-1976 Buick Opel by Isuzu (1.8 w/4-speed)
-1978 Chevy Caprice Classic wagon (305 2-bbl with TH350)
-1980 Ford Fairmont wagon (2.3 Lima w/4-speed) - his company car
-1984 Chrysler Laser turbo XE (2.2 turbo w/5-speed)
-1985 VW Jetta GLI (1.8 SOHC w/automatic) -my mom’s car
-1986 Audi 5000s (fwd w/auto) - my mom’s new car after I wrecked her Jetta!
-1988 VW Jetta GLI (1.8 16V w/5-speed)
-1992 Infiniti Q45 (V8 w/automatic)
-1995 Cadillac STS (V8 w/automatic)
-in this same time frame my mom had a Lexus ES250, a Lexus GS300, and a Lexus RX300 which was her last car before she died.
-1999 Jaguar XJR (4.0 liter supercharged V8, automatic) - still owns this car, he keeps it at his house in Florida
-2010 Mercedes E550 (5.5 liter V8 w/automatic) - still daily drives this car when he is in Connecticut

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
We lived near the GM Arizona proving grounds. My dad always drove big Buick boats, the coolest one was a huge red three row 64 Station LuXo barge with every option and then some. I don’t recall the model name but it was some sort of one off factory experiment with a huge Wildcat 455 engine that really pulled. When I got my license I loved to drive that wagon, it was a fast stop light monster. One day I floored it off the light and it shredded a motor mount. I didn’t want my dad to find out so I pulled it into the dealer and they were able to change the motor mount that day. It emptied my wallet but my dad never found out.

·
Registered
861 Posts
My dad's first "car" was a smaller motorbike kit that an uncle ordered for him from West Germany and built with him and his dad I think. I don't know how they would have done that, a catalog maybe? A farm magazine ad? He was 12. He said when cops were coming down the road, he'd just hop off and walk it along the ditch, obviously not having a license at 12. I dunno if he ever drove it in town or just from farm to farm and down the highway (at highway speeds) to visit his friends. It was air/fan cooled, and couldn't really keep up with his friends' bikes in a sprint, but theirs would overheat and they'd have to pull over to cool down, whereas his air cooled bike could maintain its top speed indefinitely, so he'd have a higher average speed, leapfrogging them every few miles.

His first car at 16 was a black 1969 Chevy Beaumont Deluxe (Canada), which, isn't called that in the US (it's a trim level or something in the US?). I think it might be the Chevelle down there, not sure.

Not his but something like this I think:

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

He loved it, and every few years he'll occasionally talk about how he regretted getting rid of it because he thought it would still be a cool car for me to drive (back when I was 16) and for him to drive (now that he's retired).

I've never seen a picture of it. By the time I have memories, we had 5 year old vans and 5 year old cars my whole life, almost all GMs. That practical family-sized "depreciation has made it affordable, but new enough it doesn't need repairs" kind of sweet spot. My dad, like me, could change a battery and a headlight but not much else. I never remember us driving a beater or anything embarrassingly falling apart, but, nor anything even remotely approaching cool. Closest was a white 90s Cutless.

If I ever have kids this is going to be a much more embarrassing story. "It was a van... for work", and then after that it was "Another van.. for work."

A sobering realization that my dad, who was a computer nerd that started writing software in the 70s, is still probably cooler than I've ever been.

Well, this has been a sad moment of introspection....

·
Opeler
179 Posts
at the same time my dad had a 63 Impala SS, 327/4spd and my mom had a 68 Impala SS with a 396/TH400 auto. the gas crisis and desire to not drive huge cars drove my parents to move to Kadett Bs.

·
Opel Key Master
5,411 Posts
1968 Kadett Rallye is what my dad drove. He had the optional chrome wheels too. He couldn’t afford a GT at the time
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

this is the short time we lived in North Carolina. That’s 2 year old me in my brothers sand box, in front of the Rallye. It began life as a beige car,and painted silver back around 78-79

·
Vendor
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Keith, It looks like you are checking out the front suspension on that Kadett, foreshadowing your superb Opel restoration talents. :)

1968 Kadett Rallye is what my dad drove. He had the optional chrome wheels too. He couldn’t afford a GT at the time
View attachment 445211
this is the short time we lived in North Carolina. That’s 2 year old me in my brothers sand box, in front of the Rallye. It began life as a beige car,and painted silver back around 78-79

·
Opeler
868 Posts
My dad's first car was a '28 Pontiac. Much later he bought a new '57 Chevy station wagon which had the Power Pack option, so that's pretty cool. However, he also bought a dealer's demo '73 Opel 1900 Automatic wagon in Glacier Blue, which was still around when I started driving, and started all this for me. Therefore, I would have to say the Opel was the coolest.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Interesting question from our friends over at Jalopnik.

My Pops had a bunch of cool stuff when we were kids. I guess my favorite(s) were the TR-3s. I think he had a red '58 and a black '60.
I even had "flashlight holding duty" when he needed to work on them (which was frequently) Even as a wee tyke, I remember sitting in the passenger seat and being able to touch the sidewalk. Pics below are not his actual cars, but nice examples of these fun little cars.
Cheers,
Ron in FL
View attachment 445165 View attachment 445166
My Father had a 69 GT with the 1.1L. He was constantly bragging about it getting 36 MPG. I was the one that had a 60 TR3.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts