Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Opeler
923 Posts
My dad wasn't known for cool cars. The coolest of the cars he owned in my life was an Oldsmobile F-85, bought used. He sold it in 1967 when we moved to the city. He died in 1969. Then, my mom bought an Opel Kadett wagon new in 1970.
My older brother, however, bought a Triumph TR-4A when he got back from Viet Nam. That was a cool car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sigh, everything before I got my license!

When I was a kid my dad had:
1963 Studebaker Avanti R2 !!
1968 Olds 442 - red/black of course - awesome == tl:dr : just stop here :)
1968 T-Bird with issues
1974? Chevy Van - Full on custom w/huge highway tires* (i did cruise this once, so this crossed over some)
Mom had a cute little 74 Celica

I get my license at 16 and Grandpa's 1963 Dodge 330 no options model, but I am a Sophomore so still cool enough. Next year (79) it breaks and while I am car shopping (1972? Capri in the lead) my parents bought a little red Opel Manta from doctor down the road and causes all my future car issues....

Just before i got my license we got a 1974 AMC 4-door Matador that I got to take my test in :O Probably straight across for 442, they wanted AC for a 1000 mile California trip (and not have a 442 around the teenager perhaps) We all drove this one - if we HAD to.

*Dad's friend was also a salesman and went on to sell/build vans. Dad got killer van and I got a killer stereo. $1000 stereo in $100 car is NOT a new concept :)

cough
Dad also had a flight school til high school, so his other 'cars' were even cooler. From a little 2-seater with opening canopy that I could fly (TR2) to a screaming 200 mph twin.
cough

My dad's dad had a 1955 Ford Courier on the farm. Currently in Mom's garage waiting for me to fix and cruise next month so Opel activity a little slow ATM ;(

Rock on folks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Interesting question from our friends over at Jalopnik.

My Pops had a bunch of cool stuff when we were kids. I guess my favorite(s) were the TR-3s. I think he had a red '58 and a black '60.
I even had "flashlight holding duty" when he needed to work on them (which was frequently) Even as a wee tyke, I remember sitting in the passenger seat and being able to touch the sidewalk. Pics below are not his actual cars, but nice examples of these fun little cars.
Cheers,
Ron in FL
View attachment 445165 View attachment 445166
A 1957 Studebaker Silver Hawk tops the list.
Baby #3 (my brother) ended the days of Glory and the start of Chevy station wagons

·
Registered
The Young One
1,418 Posts
My grandpa's first car was a 1953 studebaker with the v8. He also had I think a 1952 v8 studebaker at the same time.It might have been a parts car.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I grew up with my mothers grey 1968 Opel Rekord 1900, just like in the picture. I learnt to drive in this car, and kept it alive for many years until the rust finally got it. Same engine as the (early?) 1,9L GTs. A lot of fun.
View attachment 445191
My mother inherited the Opel from an old uncle around 1970. He thought that she needed a decent car to transport all the kids around. The car he sold when buying the Opel in 1968 was a dark blue 1957 BMW 501.
I always thought that my mother should have inherited the BMW instead....
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
17 Posts
My Dad's ONLY cool car was a 1972 Mustang Grande', Black Jade Green with a Green cloth interior. 302 automatic. What a beautiful car. I wish I had it now!

His "quirky" cars were both Saabs, for my Mom.. Both had the 3 cylinder, 2 cycle engine and 4 on the "tree". Imagine pulling into a gas station and giving the attendant a quart of oil and trying to convince him that you really did have to put it into that gas tank first so that it would mix with the gas! I ended the run of Saabs when I ran over a cherry tree trying to take a turn too fast in the snow. That lead to my mom's 67 Mustang, then a 73 Mustang fastback with a 351 Cleveland engine. Boy could that thing fly!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts