Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
44"

(was that what you were waiting for, Chuck?)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Omg

Now those wheels will just make all the girls' hearts go pitter pat! :lmao:

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
what's the largest size tire that will fit on a 73 GT wheel?
To be technically correct only a 13 inch tire will fit on a 13 inch rim.

Normally we'll give new members a grace period to use the search function before asking questions that been hashed over many times.

·
Registered
789 Posts
To be technically correct only a 13 inch tire will fit on a 13 inch rim.

Normally we'll give new members a grace period to use the search function before asking questions that been hashed over many times.
Since you are within your grace period (I'm too lazy to do a search here as well): I am sure that there are dozens of threads on this discussion and some moderator will correctly place this in the right place and direct the OP to the appropriate location. However, because I figure the OP is probably asking "what tire options do I have with the 13x5 ET25 with 4-100 wheels that are on my car?", might as well throw in 0.02.

If you want to stick to the manufacturers spec's for 5" wide wheels, the 185-70-13 is about as wide as you can go and stay with 3% of the original tire outer diameter. There are a couple of options there, Kumho, Falken, and Toyo make some in that size.

In addition, many tire shops are willing to put on 205-60-13 (if you can find them). They are supposed to be rated for 5.5" wide wheels and wider but the sidewall "bulge" is probably within reasonable limits but I would not recommend it because the manufacturers don't recommend it (although, for my personal use, I may do it, but I"m not going to say that publicly on advice of my attorney). There are very few tires available in this size. I think Gene bought the last set on the planet.

And, if you like chrome, ninja star pattern wheels, I have a set of 15" wheels that I'll be selling. :D

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Personally I'd encourage you to go 15 or 16 inch rims . 205s in the front & 225 or 235 in the back . No rubbing or bending the lips in. I like the 45 profile but thats just me
. Good luck.

·
Registered
789 Posts
rubbing...... it depends if you have lowered your car or not. I had 205's (15" wheel) on ours and it rubbed some but the front has been lowered 3" and the rear 1". I've since gone to 195-50-15. No rubbing at all, even with the car lowered.

I have to confess that I'm going to do a test fit (just for fun) of some 225-45-17's in the back just to see how that works out (I think Dieter wants to know). I'll do the test next month sometime when it warms up (no laughing all you northerners, I regard anything below 50 as freezing).

·
Registered
789 Posts
sounds like ill need the flares for sure then as i plan on lowering the car and need the larger tire
Most people only lower the front 2". It would not have rubbed with 2" of lowering. Based on reactions I got from National's, ours is a little extreme (we don't think so).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Most people only lower the front 2". It would not have rubbed with 2" of lowering. Based on reactions I got from National's, ours is a little extreme (we don't think so).
im going to play with it a little bit but i plan on around 2 in the front at least. the back will sit higher as i like the racked look

·
Registered
789 Posts
im going to play with it a little bit but i plan on around 2 in the front at least. the back will sit higher as i like the racked look
If you only go 2 in the front, the 205's should not rub at all.

We have a bit of the racked look as well. Here is a visual. Ours (purple) next to AV8R's (green). The green one is factory stock. Purple has been lowered 3" in front, 1" in back:

·
Registered
48 Posts
you car is gorgeous!! i do think i will only go with 2 in the front after looking at it. i love the way it looks but the roads around here arnt the best. i love the rear louvers too

·
Registered
789 Posts
you car is gorgeous!! i do think i will only go with 2 in the front after looking at it. i love the way it looks but the roads around here arnt the best. i love the rear louvers too
It will affect the ride as well. We are still tweaking the suspension to get it right. You are wise to not go as low (although I won't raise mine any higher). So you can do 205's as you wanted. Search the forum, there are a lot of folks that have done them and have wisdom on the tire sizes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
alot of my ride quality will depend on what i do. right now i think i am going to find a 70's mustang II and take the front suspension and rear end and build a frame around it

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,890 Posts
275mm = 10.8"

I measure about 11" between the inner wall of the rear wheel well and the inner lip of the top of the wheel arch. From that point up the wheel wells narrow quickly.

That should answer your question.

And that's only the tread width. Don't forget the bulge of the side walls. Your 275mm drag strip tires might actually be 12"-13" wide. Having folded out my wheel arches, cracked all my bodywork, and gouged the heck out of brand new tires, I'll tell you from experience that you don't want your tires getting anywhere near your arches. I wouldn't go any wider than 235-245(about 9.5") if I were you and you actually planned on driving the car on the street.

In a tire size number, such as, 275/70 R13, the first number is the width of the tire where the curve on the sides of the tread meet the side wall in mm, the last number the diameter in inches of the inner lip of the rim that the tire sits on, and the middle number is some kind of ratio I don't understand.

I have a nifty tire/wheel size comparer program, document, or link(I can't tell) that I can send you and anyone else who wants it. You'll need to send me a personal email or give me your personal email address in a pm(I can't send it as an attachment via this site). It's got a great graphic and measurements that actively change as you enter different sizes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
275mm = 10.8"

I measure about 11" between the inner wall of the rear wheel well and the inner lip of the top of the wheel arch. From that point up the wheel wells narrow quickly.

That should answer your question.

And that's only the tread width. Don't forget the bulge of the side walls. Your 275mm drag strip tires might actually be 12"-13" wide. Having folded out my wheel arches, cracked all my bodywork, and gouged the heck out of brand new tires, I'll tell you from experience that you don't want your tires getting anywhere near your arches. I wouldn't go any wider than 235-245(about 9.5") if I were you and you actually planned on driving the car on the street.

It won't work, dude.

In a tire size number, such as, 275/70 R13, the first number is the width of the tire where the curve on the sides of the tread meet the side wall in mm, the last number the diameter in inches of the inner lip of the rim that the tire sits on, and the middle number is some kind of ratio I don't understand.

I have a nifty tire/wheel size comparer program, document, or link(I can't tell) that I can send you and anyone else who wants it. You'll need to send me a personal email or give me your personal email address in a pm(I can't send it as an attachment via this site). It's got a great graphic and measurements that actively change as you enter different sizes.
if i remember right the middle number is a percent of how hide your tire is. so if you have a 275 wide you side walls will be 70 percent of that number but i may be wrong.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts