Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tirerack.com

If you pop on over to tirerack.com they have specifications for every tire they sell, including installed diameter, section width, tread width, recommended rim width, etc.
Great tool for fooling around with the numbers.
I'm running 205/45-17 on Centerlines with bolt-on spacers up front to even out track width. At stock height I get a light rub on the aft wheelwell edge at lock. A little "malletization" should fix that.

Dave S.

·
Über Genius
9,725 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
The car I bought from tazdbs cam with two rims that had Hoosier 22.5X7.5-13 DOT slicks. the only modification that I have noticed was that the pinch welds in the rear wheel wells were cut off and washers are behind the wheel I just stuck it on there to see what it would look like the other tires are 185/70-13 that is what I am ruining the car on.

Attachments

·
Tazdbs 71 Opel GT
189 Posts
tire size versus turn radius

With the larger diameter tires, you can reduce your short turn radius as the tire rubs on the inner fender wells. I am ok with my set of 205/60/13 wheels and tires on lock to lock but my 215/55/16 tires on 16 inch Voxx wheels rub so I loose on the radius. I need the larger wheels and tires so the side pipes don't drag and I like the look.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
To be technically correct only a 13 inch tire will fit on a 13 inch rim.

Normally we'll give new members a grace period to use the search function before asking questions that been hashed over many times.
And it gives you something to do besides chasing kids off your lawn too.

I have 185/60R13 on the front and 205/60R13 on the rear (on 6.5" wide wheels). I haven't lowered the front yet, but a 1" drop in the front would make this combo perfect I think. Unfortunately, 13" tires are getting hard to find and if I were in the market for new rims I'd go with 14". Any more than that and you're going with a low profile tire that will ride roughly. Considering we already have a car with buggy springs, that seems a bit too punishing to me.

·
1971 Opel GT
198 Posts
With the larger diameter tires, you can reduce your short turn radius as the tire rubs on the inner fender wells. I am ok with my set of 205/60/13 wheels and tires on lock to lock but my 215/55/16 tires on 16 inch Voxx wheels rub so I loose on the radius. I need the larger wheels and tires so the side pipes don't drag and I like the look.
Those wheels look really good on your car. I've always thought 15" or 16" fill up the wheel wells nicely. Do you have any pictures of the car shooting straight at the back end?

The blue looks great too! Mine is "Resale Red" but I've thought about going blue one of these days.

·
Tazdbs 71 Opel GT
189 Posts
Tires from the back

Here's the 16 inch tires on the GT. I have to put the backup light back on and I am going to take the vertical bumperettes off as I like that look better... so I did it with photoshop to see what it will look like. :veryhappy

Attachments

·
Tazdbs 71 Opel GT
189 Posts
13 inch to 16 inch wheel evolution

Here are pictures of my 71 GT with the 1973 13 inch wheels and 205/50/13 tires, then the side pipes were added with the 13 in wheels and tires, then the 16 inch Voxx wheels and Bridgestone tires. I need the added heigth that the 16 inch wheels and tires gave me to keep the side pipes mounting brackets from scraping on speed bumps. I like both looks and the 16 inch tires really fill the wheel well when looking at the side of the car. I still have the 13 inch wheels and tires so I'll just take turns using them and the 16 inch ones for fun.

Dick

Attachments

·
Tazdbs 71 Opel GT
189 Posts
Bend the body seam down and fender well lips up or you will rip up the tires!

I forgot, if you don't notch and then bend down the mounting seam that runs horizontal in the rear wheel wells and also bend up and in the lip on the outer edge of the wheel well inner body, you will have to run thinner tires as the wide ones will get torn up!

I don't have pictures available but I am sure they are in some of the other posts.

PM me if you need further instructions. Don't want to mess up a $100 tire!

Dick

·
Registered
31 Posts
i was planning on running 15's but i was hoping to fit a 275 drag radial
lol i hope u are joking 275mm width tires are 11 inchs wide unmounted and are going to rub on every bump i would go with 205 - 40 0r 45 - 15r that would keep the tires at the same height but add more corrning because of taller wheels -- you could go with 16s as well wasnt able to find anything as good size wise in the

21 - 34 of 34 Posts