Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm in need of your expertise once again. I noticed that I have a missing bolt. It's the bolt that holds the bracket, that holds the front of the starter, to the block.

Thanks,

Manny

·
Super Moderator
9,826 Posts
Manny;
I may be wrong, but, I think that was a bolt that took a 13mm wrench/socket to work it, and that means it should be 8mm actually probably about 25mm in length

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Quick & Dirty thread size checking....

I meant to drop in at my workshop on the way home (at 1.30am!) but drove straight past.....

If a 5/16" drill shank will go into the threads then it is a 10mm bolt - don't use the drill as a drill, just push the chuck end into the threaded hole to see if it will fit. A 10mm thread has an 8.6mm tapping drill so a 5/16" drill shank (which is close to 8mm) will fit in the hole. If the hole is way too small for the drill to fit then you have an 8mm thread (which uses a 6.8mm tapping drill ... which is just a bit bigger than 17/64")

HTH

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
It is an M8 but x 25 is a bit long, the original is x 20. It's a bit shallow becouse of where it's located so you don't want to go too long. Just another tidbit. If you multiply the diameter of the thread x 2 then add whatever your bolting on you will have the maximum holding strengh for that bolt. Old engineering trick.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.