Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is this carb never mentioned or used, there isn't even any info about it anywhere and its a direct bolt on replacement for the solex, costs 4 times less than weber and works much better than the solex, i never had any trouble with it, at least none i couldn't fix easyly.

I know there are alot of people still using the solex just because they have no money for the weber (like me) and i think the varajet is a great carb, maybe a bit tough to get in usa, but in uk it should be easy, just look for an old manta b or kadett e

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Varajet II

Yes, the Holden Torana from Australia which used the Opel 19S engine as a base unit eventually used the Varijet carb in the later years. I guess even GMH thought it was a better unit. Though maybe GM makes Rochesters but not Solex's.

·
boomerang opeler
5,641 Posts
we used to get them on a lot of fords with the pinto engine

good for economy bad for sport as the variable venturi takes time to open and close and is restrictive when you are doing a lot of throttle position changes

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi guys! I am in the process of putting back the varajet 2 in my manta. Could somebody please teach me how to fix this carb? I cleaned it to the best that I can with cans of carb cleaner, poked a really thin wire on all the holes but it's still not pumping gas out. I replaced the plunger but still nothing. I notice that the check ball is just stuck and when I try to pump the gas, it splashes instead of coming out of the needles. Please help. I like this carb....

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Hi guys! I am in the process of putting back the varajet 2 in my manta. Could somebody please teach me how to fix this carb? I cleaned it to the best that I can with cans of carb cleaner, poked a really thin wire on all the holes but it's still not pumping gas out. I replaced the plunger but still nothing. I notice that the check ball is just stuck and when I try to pump the gas, it splashes instead of coming out of the needles. Please help. I like this carb....
A very good place to start is by reading this.

It's been years since that last one that I rebuilt.
IIRC they had wear issues on the plunger wells and throttle shaft bushings.

4,231 Posts
Here are the numbers for Varajet II carburators what Opel used at Manta with
2.0 N and 2.0 S engines

Versionen des Varajet-II-Vergasers:
Kenn-Nummer Fahrzeugtyp Motor/Getriebe
96 002 109 Manta B / Rekord E 18S / MT ab 04/82
96 002 110 Manta B / Rekord E 18S / AT ab 09/82
96 007 001 Ascona B / Manta B / Rekord E 20S / MT / without AC
96 007 002 Ascona B / Manta B / Rekord E 20S / AT / without AC
96 007 007 Ascona B / Manta B / Rekord E 20S / MT / with AC
96 007 008 Ascona B / Manta B / Rekord E 20S / AT / with AC
96 008 005 Ascona B / Manta B / Rekord E 20N / MT / without AC
96 008 006 Ascona B / Manta B / Rekord E 20N / AT / without AC
96 008 015 Ascona B / Manta B / Rekord E 20N / MT / with AC
96 008 016 Ascona B / Manta B / Rekord E 20N / AT / with AC

And here you can get rebuild sets

Varajet OPEL Vergase

On Opels both Barrels will moved mechanic and not with vacuum

Norbert
PS for me,i will not have a Varajet II.Most nozzles and needles are pressed in.:ugh:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts