Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
1000 Post Club
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Wheel Spacers are so expensive, I had an idea for an alternative way to go about getting them. My dad works for a company called Means Stamping, kinda like a branch off of GM, making car parts and such. Would it be safe to just have him make some of the size I need out out Stainless or something? I know they would have to be very accurate..but thats what his job has been for 25 years, and they get down to like thousandth's of a MM..so I'm sure it would be pretty dead on. Just an idea to save myself a couple hundred bucks.

·
1000 Post Club
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wait..

I found another deal on eBay...there is a pair of 1" Spacers, fits all 4x100 bolt pattern, and comes with extended Bolts. Another auction just like it, with a pair of 3/4" ones. Both for 20 dollars each so far..sound like a good deal? Also would these work with my rims?

15x7", 42mm Offset

If they don't work, what would be best?

·
1000 Post Club
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One more quick question.. I am getting Goodyear Assurance Tripletread for my rims, and I don't understand the whole size thing. (Example:205/70TR15) What size would be best to get? I heard 205's are good, but once again, I have no idea what that means lol

·
Super Moderator
13,842 Posts
Sparky73 said:
One more quick question.. I am getting Goodyear Assurance Tripletread for my rims, and I don't understand the whole size thing. (Example:205/70TR15) What size would be best to get? I heard 205's are good, but once again, I have no idea what that means lol
Well, the 205 is the sidewall width designation (in millimeters). So 205 mm is equal to 8.07". The 70 number is the sidewall profile, which stands for 70 percent of the width, or 5.649". So the total diameter of the tire is 15" (wheel diameter), plus the sidewall height (twice, top and bottom) which is 11.298" = 26.298".

This is a very tall tire for an Opel, the stock tire diameter is 23.39". A 205/50-15 tire would be 23.07", while a 205/55-15 tire would be 23.877". I'd go with the 205/50, it's closer to the stock diameter. A bigger diameter tire will have more inertia, and will slow acceleration, and the gear ratio change from the larger diameter will also slow acceleration.

HTH,
Bob

·
1000 Post Club
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand the whole numbers thing now, but how do I deciede on my final size. With 15x7 rims, would a 205 be a good or a bad thing. I already know I am going to need spacers, and I am going to either get 3/4" or 1". The look I am going for is close to stock size (so needing lower profile), but I want to fill up my wheel well a little more, so I dont want the tires to be too thin. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, please help me out with a decision on the final size. For the tires, is it possible I could get a wider width for the back, and thinner for the front?

What is the final size for the front tires?
Back tires?

Would it be better to keep them the same so I could rotate tires every so often?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts