Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Typical new owner questions

I've decided that I should have a repair manual, but haven't had much luck finding one here in Canada. Does anyone have
any suggestions?
As well, what is the concensus on rim spacers? Is it a bad
idea or is it workable?
Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
Opel Factory Manual

Make sure you get a FACTORY service manual, versus an aftermarket version (Chiltons, etc.). The aftermarket manuals are better than nothing, but not nearly complete enough to repair most systems. Watch that you get a '71 or newer manual, since there was a fairly significant change in wiring and some mechanical designs (differential, transmission, etc.) in early to mid 1970.

There are usually a couple of factory service manuals on ebay. Note, do NOT get an Owners Manual, which is just the little booklet that you get when you buy the car. And don't be afraid of ebay, its a GREAT source of used and NOS (New Old Stock) Opel parts. Do a search for "Opel"under www.ebaymotors.com (or just copy and past this url to your address bar):

http://search-desc.ebay.com/search/...cordsPerPage=30&category0=6000&combine=y&st=2

For example, look at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1864297194

Get there quick, because it ends in 1 day, 18 hours

For an aftermarket manual, try:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1863191036

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1864177151

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1864391437

As for wheel spacers, many folks have been forced to resort to them, because it can be difficult to find economical aftermarket wheels with the correct backspace (Honda 4x100 mm works, but have too much offset without spacers). The "serious" HiPo folks say to avoid them, but practically, so long as you don't do extreme manuevers, they will be fine. Jusy make sure you get a quality set, and install them properly with longer studs.

HTH

ps. Where in Canada are you at?

·
Super Moderator
14,870 Posts
Re: Opel Factory Manual

kwilford said:
The "serious" HiPo folks say to avoid them, but practically, so long as you don't do extreme manuevers, they will be fine
Au contraire, mon frere, I consider myself to be fairly 'serious' about the HiPo stuff, and use spacers all the time. As you said, the key is to use quality stuff, and longer studs.

Bob
'transplanted Canuck'

·
315 Posts
We use spacers on our race car all the time... in fact, we raced them on our ITB GT for over 6 years (and 5 championships) with no problems. Besides giving the car a wider stance (wider IS better), you sometimes must use the spacers so that the back side of the wheel clears the caliper. In all cases, we replace the studs with larger ones (both longer and larger diameter... ARP recommended).

We DO NOT use the junk "one size fits all" spacers that you can buy in parts stores. You can buy good 4x100 spacers from H&R springs (http://www.hrsprings.com/) but they are kind of expensive

We CNC machine our own specifically for the Opel (or our other race car(s). This might be place for a group buy. If enough folks are interested we'll make up a batch.

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
Wheel spacers

I have read a few articles warning of the dangers of poorly designed, or installed, wheel spacers. The primary issue is that a bending moment can be created in the stud during cornering, causing it to fail prematurely, and catastrophically. A normal wheel stud is usually only stressed in tension, and won't see a bending moment unless the nut is loose.

But I have also used spacers, on my old '61 Bugeyed Sprite (to get a wider rear track), and I used to beat the crap out of it in gymkanas. Of course, it only weighed 1300 lbs dripping wet, and might have seen a whole 40 HP! Which, of course, the GT outweighs by a good 30 %. But the GT is STILL one of the lightest cars on the road.

As for a group order, I think that is a MARVELOUS idea! I will be looking for wheels in the spring, and the idea of being limited to a few wheel manufacturers with BMW 320i backspacing was causing me a bit of heartache. If we could come up with a couple of spacer thicknesses, the needs of the whole group could be met.

It seems that the most common 15 and 16 inch aftermarket Honda-type wheel has about 38 or 45 mm of offset, versus the 10 or 20 mm required by the GT. So a spacer that is either 18 mm (about 3/4 inch) or 35 mm (1 3/8 inch) should nicely fit the span of most folks requirements.

It would be nice to have some suggestions (or even pictures) on how to install them. I have to confess my ignorance, since my bugeye used a simple stud extender, which is NOT particularly suitable for the GT. Is it very difficult to press out the old studs and replace them? I presume you have to remove the front hubs and the rear axles to install the new longer studs.

Let us know what you think, and how much they might cost if you get a decent size order.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Not to detract, but...

There are basicly 2 types of spacers out there I have used. One that uses long studs and just slips over them, and one that uses the studs to bolt to the axle and has studs of it's own to bolt the wheel to. I always thought the second type is generally preferred for lengths much longer than 3/4", and also has the advantage of allowing you to ghange bolt pattern if so desired.

That being said, wheel-a-dapt sells them for @$50 each spacer, and there are several companies that retail within $5-10 of that price. They are all custom made hub-centric adapters that us kit car guys have been using for decades. If TGSI can beat the price, sign me up, but if it is close, maybe we should let Bob not have to worry about the liability of us street guys using and installing these things. Besides, TGSI needs the time to make more cool Opel engine parts (I think!)

On the service manual topic. I have a copy of every Opel factory service manual from '54-'75, as well as a copy of almost every available (and out of print) aftermarket service manual. I'm not sure about the legalities yet as far as selling them, but it would be possible to scan each in and offer either a downloadable version or an available CD-ROM. I'm not sure if my copy of acrobat allows me to save scans very well, so it may end-up a collection of some 400 B+W .jpegs, but they print out too. If you want it piece-meal, let me know the topic you need info on and I'll e-mail you the appropriate section.

Think about the time involved before you all ask me for the entire book, please, as I do need to get the "new" windows installed in the Kadett Wagon (that won't possibly fall out!) and there may be an engine swap in the very near future...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.