Opel GT Forum banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,947 Posts
I am very familiar with the Opel Factory Service Manuals. I have at least one of every year. In fact, the reason that this entire Forum is organized the way it is, is because I suggested to Gary Farias in 2003 that we (he and I, the only two people running the OpelGT.com Forum back then) follow the 1973 Opel Service Manual arrangement.

My point is that I have not found in any
Opel Service Manual an illustration showing the terminal connection details at the headlamps. I had looked several times in the past and again tonight, and I still do not see such a diagram. When I reinstalled my wiring harness, I had to search on-line for the correct configuration for the headlamps, which is why that photo I posted came to hand. I may certainly be wrong, and if you can point out where that illustration is, I would appreciate it. There are errors in the Factory Manuals, and it is good to know where they are.

The diagram you posted is unreadable on both my PC and my Android phone. It isn't my video card. It is the black background of the diagram you posted, obscuring the words.

As for "right and left", I am not asking if the headlamp is the right (passenger) side or left (driver side). I was asking if the unreadable diagram you posted was looking from the rear of the connector, or the front. Another member had posted incorrect information regarding which terminal was used for which circuit. I simply wanted to confirm that you had followed the correct information.

I regret "shouting" earlier with capital letters in order to make my point, that was not otherwise getting across. I seldom if ever do that. However, you shouting back at me is bordering on bad behaviour. Please refrain from doing so. You can shout all you want wherever you want. But it is not permitted on this site.

Look, I know from experience that these 50 year old, obscure, weird German sports cars can be frustrating. And the GT headlights can be especially difficult to troubleshoot. I was trying to help. If you aren't interested in my help, I will stand down.

Good luck.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Keith --
A couple of things.

1. Not everyone understands that a wiring diagram is just that -- a drawing showing the path of electric circuits that do not always describe precise connections. If you go to page 1J-107 of the 1973 FSM, the color diagram for the GT, you will see very clearly that the diagram shows, looking at the sealed beam from the rear, the Yellow (low beam) on the right, the Brown (ground) in the center, and the White (high beam) on the left. Clearly, this is the incorrect configuration as has been pointed out. The 1970 manual shows two different configurations, depending on which side of the car you are looking at! But it is understandable that someone might make this error.

2. As I pointed out to you, the yellow-filled chart that I sent Carl, that he posted (#49) was the configuration viewed from the back of the sealed beam. I admit that the print is not as clear as it might be, but I can read it from Carl's post with my 74-year-old eyes enhanced by #3 readers. But if it is not clear to you, the labeling shows White (high beam) on the right-side pin; Yellow (low beam) on the center horizontal pin; and Brown (ground) on the left-side pin.

I will further point out that you started the "shouting" because, as you said "in order to make my point, that was not otherwise getting across." In point of fact, your point had gotten across, was investigated and eliminated as the problem. The fact that the high beams were working properly was a good indication that the grounds were solid.

Personally, I think you have been rather rude on this thread and I think at the very least you owe Carl an apology. Most people come to these forums to seeking help to resolve issues with their car, not to grandstand about their knowledge.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I think we all get frustrated trying to communicate via the site simply cause it's not the same as being there hands on and reading can sometimes be taken one way when meant another which just adds to the already flustered mind. Once we all take a step back DEEP BREATHE maybe a swigg of numbing brain juice lol we see or understand what we misread or misunderstood and it's all good we're all here for the same reason. KEITH, and I'll never forget, was the first person to respond to me on a sunday when I first got my gt and joined the site in the middle of a minor panic trying to gather info to start repairs on mine.always willing to help and I thank you.
Any way check out the attached I found in my file regarding the headlights and wiring of the plug and it's easy to see where something seemingly easy can get so frustratingly confusing.
Notice the plug says one way and the back of the bulb is the complete opposite. It happens and that's where we sometimes reach out for support to sort it all out.
And Keith is absolutely right as to mis info with not only the fsm( example torque values) but sometimes other literature we come across

Attachments

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
OH and to follow up I went through a spell no to long ago where I too was seemingly at times very rude, short tempered, defensive and quite frankly just an A$$. It wasn't until my wife strongly pointed out this behavior was very much unlike me. With a little recognizing there was something going on,I realized to much caffeine and alcohol was to blame. I stopped soda's entirely and back to no more than 2 cups of coffee a day and drank water instead and was surprised myself at the difference. anyway Life happens and sometimes you get in your own way without even knowing it. this was my case anyway

Reactions: rrossjr

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 · (Edited)
I am very familiar with the Opel Factory Service Manuals. I have at least one of every year. In fact, the reason that this entire Forum is organized the way it is, is because I suggested to Gary Farias in 2003 that we (he and I, the only two people running the OpelGT.com Forum back then) follow the 1973 Opel Service Manual arrangement.

My point is that I have not found in any
Opel Service Manual an illustration showing the terminal connection details at the headlamps. I had looked several times in the past and again tonight, and I still do not see such a diagram. When I reinstalled my wiring harness, I had to search on-line for the correct configuration for the headlamps, which is why that photo I posted came to hand. I may certainly be wrong, and if you can point out where that illustration is, I would appreciate it. There are errors in the Factory Manuals, and it is good to know where they are.
Keith, Go back and check your 1971 service manual it is the only one I have. There is not just one diagram in the 1971 service manual there are two that show the wiring completely different than your and Michael's depictions. And by different I mean wrong with your and Michael's depictions being correct as it is working very well in my GT. Again thank you for your assistance
Page120-63 of the 1971 service manual:

This is also found on the following page on the complete or more complete diagram - page 120-65

The diagram you posted is unreadable on both my PC and my Android phone. It isn't my video card. It is the black background of the diagram you posted, obscuring the words.
I would ask others to comment on that as I received that diagram from Michael and it is yellow and I can read it just fine. Perhaps something was lost in translation. But as stated before the configuration on Michal's was the same configuration as yours.

As for "right and left", I am not asking if the headlamp is the right (passenger) side or left (driver side). I was asking if the unreadable diagram you posted was looking from the rear of the connector, or the front. Another member had posted incorrect information regarding which terminal was used for which circuit. I simply wanted to confirm that you had followed the correct information.

I thought I did a pretty good job of explaining this - not sure why you would be unsure about what we were talking about - Like your picture and Michael's diagram we are talking about the wiring on one bulb look at it from the back or the front the brown wire is still going to be on the same side and yellow in the middle and white on the other side - left to right

I regret "shouting" earlier with capital letters in order to make my point, that was not otherwise getting across. I seldom if ever do that. However, you shouting back at me is bordering on bad behaviour. Please refrain from doing so. You can shout all you want wherever you want. But it is not permitted on this site.

I was not shouting and sorry if you perceive it that way - I was simply differentiating my dialog from yours. But since it bothers you I will in the future refrain from responding in capital letters.

Look, I know from experience that these 50 year old, obscure, weird German sports cars can be frustrating. And the GT headlights can be especially difficult to troubleshoot. I was trying to help. If you aren't interested in my help, I will stand down.

Keith, Your help is always welcome if you recall I thanked you for your picture showing the wiring I just posted Michael's, for what ever reason, that he sent me via email not knowing how it would show up - again on my computer it came in as yellow, and went out as yellow and as I look back on that post still readable in yellow, not black.
Best Regards, Carl

Attachments

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
yep that's wrong and it wouldn't matter if the bulb was upside down or right side up it would still be wrong

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,278 Posts
The matter is that the schematic shows things laid out a certain way, with the ground in the center of the schematic representation of the headlamp. If someone, not knowing, interprets this as also being the physical layout of the pins on the headlamp, then they will wire the connections to the headlamps wrong. I saw this this during the earlier discussion but assumed "Nah, Carl would have checked this all out".... so much for assumptions eh? LOL

It's all fixed and Carl is happy, and time to move on. There are a few symptons that I still can't resolve, but it's not worht beating it to death. The snowblower may have to get winterized; a bit of white stuff is lurking out there today!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
my point exactly and I would see that way ground in the center

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
[Click to expand my last entry post # 65 to see my complete response. Thanks, Carl

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
[Click to expand my last entry post # 65 to see my complete response. Thanks, Carl
It's all good Carl the fact it's fixed at this point is all that matters I'm fixing to charge my battery to start playing with mine. Only because I started it up Friday and could tell the way it sounded the batt was a little low. So what are you moving on to next?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
It's all good Carl the fact it's fixed at this point is all that matters I'm fixing to charge my battery to start playing with mine. Only because I started it up Friday and could tell the way it sounded the batt was a little low. So what are you moving on to next?
You are a gentleman and a solar and correct time to move on. So today I am on to the micro switches and to replace a washer on the rotator arm that holds the bucket in place - two bolts one that disappears into the hole in the rotator arm and cannot be tightened is going to get the washer -while it looks like it was designed that way, can't figure out why the hole is so big that the head of the screw go in it. Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Thank you Carl, WELL I have found all my problems and I thank you all for putting some lite on the subject here.
1) I realized when I pulled my buckets to look at the wiring, where I went wrong. When I ordered the micro switches and headlight sockets to rewire OGTS is always kind enough to send you tech notes/literature. note that the instructions for the plug have hi/beam & ground backwards.
Even though I had paper work to show the back of the bulbs wiring the correct way and I should have caught it at that time but I did not.
So for anyone in the future or for those like me that keep a running file/folder of all literature opel related to your cars Please make the adjustment or note on the headlight wiring harness picture so not to wire backwards as I and I'm sure others have.
2) I did not replace the light bulbs at the time I made the repairs because outside of the overspray of paint to the sockets of the bulbs they looked fine ( Another classic mistake on my part I assumed) what I found when I pulled stuff apart to rewire was the hi beam post came off with the plug LOL then I was able to see the burn marks around all the leads on the bulb and when I wiggled the ground post it too popped of.
So I went to the local auto store and just got 2 new sylvania bulbs the mid grade, not bright white and not basic but the one in between
Rewired both, replaced bulbs, started engine lights are nice and bright with an average 12.6-12.7 to both.
3) My bucket gaskets tore in the process of removing so I'll be ordering a new set Glad OGTS has all of them on sale as a package opelgifts haha
also attached is the micro relay wiring just to compare I checked Smiths post to confirm my copy of that was right anyway LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Thank you Carl, WELL I have found all my problems and I thank you all for putting some lite on the subject here.
1) I realized when I pulled my buckets to look at the wiring, where I went wrong. When I ordered the micro switches and headlight sockets to rewire OGTS is always kind enough to send you tech notes/literature. note that the instructions for the plug have hi/beam & ground backwards.
Even though I had paper work to show the back of the bulbs wiring the correct way and I should have caught it at that time but I did not.
So for anyone in the future or for those like me that keep a running file/folder of all literature opel related to your cars Please make the adjustment or note on the headlight wiring harness picture so not to wire backwards as I and I'm sure others have.
2) I did not replace the light bulbs at the time I made the repairs because outside of the overspray of paint to the sockets of the bulbs they looked fine ( Another classic mistake on my part I assumed) what I found when I pulled stuff apart to rewire was the hi beam post came off with the plug LOL then I was able to see the burn marks around all the leads on the bulb and when I wiggled the ground post it too popped of.
So I went to the local auto store and just got 2 new sylvania bulbs the mid grade, not bright white and not basic but the one in between
Rewired both, replaced bulbs, started engine lights are nice and bright with an average 12.6-12.7 to both.
3) My bucket gaskets tore in the process of removing so I'll be ordering a new set Glad OGTS has all of them on sale as a package opelgifts haha
also attached is the micro relay wiring just to compare I checked Smiths post to confirm my copy of that was right anyway LOL
Thanks for the information Terry, much appreciated. The buckets are such a pain, its like Opel Made it as difficult as humanly possible, and made everything as tight as possible, it is a real challange. I can see why Gil suggest not removing them but I was doing a complete restoration and did not want to leave them in. 25 years ago I removed all of the head light assembly prior to painting and reinstalled/reassembled it and I am not looking forward to doing that again but hey I have covid time, on my hands, I am retired, so why not, right.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts