Opel GT Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
The money spent on a JUST DASHES dashboard is well worth it. How many times will you sit in the drivers seat and not see the dash board? That was the question my brother in law asked when I was debating the best way to go. Also had the shifter cover done and the place for the ash tray filled in before it was recovered. Cost, 780.00 but I have never spent money so wisely. It is absolultly perfect and that was four years ago. I would expect that it will last many more years. They specialize only in restoring show quality dashes and from my experience, they are worth every cent. Take the dash out, send it to them, two months later you have a perfect dash. I know it's a lot of money, but what are our cars but buckets to put money in? You will never regret putting the money in the dash, no imperfections, no warping, it is a perfect fit, what else could you ask for. Save up the money if you can't afford it right now, the wait is worth it.

·
392 Posts
Jeff,

Welcome to the website. I, also, live in Tucson. I thought I was the last of the Opelphiles here. Give me a call at: 903-4576. I have a couple sheds full of parts and have owned and worked on Opels since 1969.

We can talk about dashes and the Tucson sun.

Mike

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
:eek: 2 MONTHS wow A bit on the slow side lmao but well worth it. do you have aby pictures of what it looks like?
There's a couple of pics in my "Willit? Update" thread in the engine swap forum. Be advised, it's one of the longest threads on the site, so it will take some time to find them. :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
dash question

Does anyone know where to get kits to flock a dash? They used to have them at sporting shops to do the base of deer antler mounts. But I can't seem to find anywhere to get them now.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Does anyone know where to get kits to flock a dash? They used to have them at sporting shops to do the base of deer antler mounts. But I can't seem to find anywhere to get them now.
You want to make your dash look like a Christmas tree????????? :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
New dsah

now $500 is not as bad as (just dashes) $1000, would u recommend buying from opelgt.com, has any 1 of u guys bought somthin from them? If you call them do they speak english?
I ordered one and had a friend follow up in German via phone- never heard again from them despite 3 emails and multiple calls'makes me question their business ethics

·
Registered
708 Posts
they are actually an exchange only deal meaning they repair, actually recover in vynal or leather your dash. it shows this in the hard copy of the price list via a code I think.
you are right though they never reply
i just recovered mine with the stitched cover and it looks pretty good.
found some high temp rubber glue 4 the job as it gets hot here

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Check the conversion

375 Euros is over $700US - so it is better to get your repadded there in the USA.

Opel GT Source --- Welcome has a Dash Cap that covers the top of the dash and they are in California.

Most GT dashes are cracked - probaly less than 100 'real good' ones left ...
Just so you make a decision based on real numbers, the current conversion for the Euro is $1.24. That means your 375 Euro price earlier in the thread is about $469, NOT over $700. You do have to add shipping and that can be pricy due to length, but still could be in the region of the $600-$700 numbers here.
HTH -- Doug (in AZ)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Dash decisions

Well, I was trying to decide what to do. Go with the dash cap which doesn't look as though you have to pull the dash out to do it even though you are suppose to glue it, or go with the dash cover kit and pull the dash and recover myself. I think after reading about the warping issues that some have had with the dash cap, I am now going to go with the cover kit and recover it myself. Here is the question - What do you use or how do you fill the cracks in the dash before glueing the covers on? Do you just use a bondo or fiberglass filler?

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
Gabe, Bondo is indestructible, so that would be the best option that I can think of. Easy to work with, sands easily. The only thing is adding the hardener to the base mix. If you add too much hardener, it is difficult to sand and does not seem to spread evenly. If you add the right amount of hardener, it spreads easily and you have about five minutes of working time before it starts to harden and get crazy. I would only work on a third of the dash at a time, that way you don't have to worry about it setting up before you are done with the job. Most people have a tendency to mix too much at a time, and half of it hardens before it can be spread out. Take some pictures of your project and post them. Some members will find it useful and some may offer suggestions as you progress with it. Putting the Bondo on is only half of the job, the other half is sanding it perfectly so your cover does not have any ripples or bulges. An electric sander is handy to have for this project. If you don't have one and don't need one after your job is done, go to Harbor Freight, you can pick one up cheap and dispose of it when you are finished. Good luck with your project.

Bob

·
Registered
515 Posts
Most GT dashes are cracked - probaly less than 100 'real good' ones left ...
I must be extremely lucky, 4 out of 5 of my GT's have sweet dashes (one was restored by Just Dashes) without a single crack. The 5th has one moderately thin crack from the vin plate to the windshield. :veryhappy

·
Opel Key Master
5,200 Posts
Bondo? I would not recommend bondo for fixing cracks in the dash even if you are covering. SEM has a two part foam repair epoxy that is a high strength foam. It is messy, but was able to use it to fix several cracks in a Kadett dash, it sets fast, and sands nicely. I have used the covers though, and not had one lift or warp that I know of. Seen numerous ones at the car shows and they look fine too.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Do the covers warp easy?

Bondo? I would not recommend bondo for fixing cracks in the dash even if you are covering. SEM has a two part foam repair epoxy that is a high strength foam. It is messy, but was able to use it to fix several cracks in a Kadett dash, it sets fast, and sands nicely. I have used the covers though, and not had one lift or warp that I know of. Seen numerous ones at the car shows and they look fine too.
The cover actually looked nice to me, but was told that they may not hold up well. They look like they can be installed without pulling the dash, but I don't have any experience with them. Do they cover most of the dash well?

Attachments

21 - 36 of 36 Posts