Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
where does this thing go?

Ginger's husband/mechanic here.
Anybody care to take a guess at this thingy? I friend helped me take the bottom end of our GT apart and he was a bit... 'eager'. I've had a heck of a time figuring out where the parts go that he removed. This one should be easy for you guys. It is obviously a heat sheild and I believe it was removed from the passanger side. Greensmurf mentioned a heat shield on a motor mount in an earlier thread today. Could this be it?

I have faith in you. :)
We can finally see the light. We have very few parts left to install after a year of beeing down and alot of rebuilding. Possibly this weekend we'll hear her run.

Thanks in advance.
Dan and Ging

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
"Heat shields"

ging said:
Ginger's husband/mechanic here.
Anybody care to take a guess at this thingy? I friend helped me take the bottom end of our GT apart and he was a bit... 'eager'. I've had a heck of a time figuring out where the parts go that he removed. This one should be easy for you guys. It is obviously a heat sheild and I believe it was removed from the passanger side. Greensmurf mentioned a heat shield on a motor mount in an earlier thread today. Could this be it?

I have faith in you. :)
We can finally see the light. We have very few parts left to install after a year of beeing down and alot of rebuilding. Possibly this weekend we'll hear her run.

Thanks in advance.
Dan and Ging
There are but two heat shields used on the passenger side of the engine. A large one used beneath the carb and is pretty obvious, and a small one with a single hole in one of the flat sides which mounts on the single bolt on top of the motor mount facing the rear so it can shield the exhaust manifold heat.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
shields

I'm trying to upload a picture but not having any luck. What you have described sounds like what I've got.

I'll try again.

Dan

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
i think pics are down while gary does security updates or the size and format may be wrong

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Motor mount heat shield . . .

ging said:
I'm trying to upload a picture but not having any luck. What you have described sounds like what I've got.

I'll try again.

Dan
Kind of "L" shaped but at a 105° angle and ~2.75" wide, right? :confused:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
heat shield

I'm not having any luck with the picture so I'll describe it.

Pressed from a 4.5" X 2.5" flat steel plate. Folded vertically at 90 degrees almost in the center. One side (I'll call the left) has a 1/2 diameter hole near the edge with a 1" radius cut out of the top left corner. The 'right' of the bend has two horizontal 'flutings' that run from the center to the very edge.

I hope that works for you. As an art major, I'd much rather draw you a pic.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
ging said:
I'm not having any luck with the picture so I'll describe it.

Pressed from a 4.5" X 2.5" flat steel plate. Folded vertically at 90 degrees almost in the center. One side (I'll call the left) has a 1/2 diameter hole near the edge with a 1" radius cut out of the top left corner. The 'right' of the bend has two horizontal 'flutings' that run from the center to the very edge.

I hope that works for you. As an art major, I'd much rather draw you a pic.

Thanks
THAT'S IT! Right side motor mount heat shield, mounts to bolt coming out of motor mount and is mounted facing aft and down. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
5,928 Posts
tekenaar said:
There are but two heat shields used on the passenger side of the engine. A large one used beneath the carb and is pretty obvious, and a small one with a single hole in one of the flat sides which mounts on the single bolt on top of the motor mount facing the rear so it can shield the exhaust manifold heat.
Actually three, including the large heat shield that mounts vertically on the body just behind the engine compartment, along side the exhaust pipe down-comers. A nasty little device that collects any sort of item (sockets, bolts, small screwdrivers, gaskets...). But it's about twenty inches long and ten inches deep, so no mistaking it for the engine mount heat shield.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shield's up Cap'n

Well... That's where I'm gonna put it. So there.

BTW, tekenaar, In my bucket of parts I've come up with 3 heat shields. One under the carb, the small one we've been discussing here and the third one mounts under the passenger floorboard on the passenger side of the tranny tunnel (where the two pipes from the ex manifold join in to a single pipe and go to the rear). I would suspect that this piece might missing on alot of GT's. They are 30 years old after all. :) :)

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
kwilford said:
Actually three, including the large heat shield that mounts vertically on the body just behind the engine compartment, along side the exhaust pipe down-comers. A nasty little device that collects any sort of item (sockets, bolts, small screwdrivers, gaskets...). But it's about twenty inches long and ten inches deep, so mistaking it for the mount heat shield.
You are correct, but I did say " . . . two heat shields used on the passenger side of the engine." :eek:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Luckily it wasn't tossed, as it looks like any old piece of metal.

The engine mount doesn't last long without that shield, especially if you have a header pipe. I always drop tools that direction and end-up burning myself. So for me, that little shield is too small, so I fabbed one out of a Lexus door panel. My new one follows the bottom pipe about 10cm.

But be sure to put it back, or you'll likely be replacing a passenger side engine mount.

·
Super Moderator
5,928 Posts
Scott McDonald said:
So for me, that little shield is too small, so I fabbed one out of a Lexus door panel.
Ouch, my IS300 is hurting with those words...
Oh well, at least the heat shield will be relentlessly pursuing perfection in your GT.

·
Bikini Inspector
5,771 Posts
In my 1.5 years of opeling I had no clue there was a heat shield on the motor mount and trans tunnel. anyone have some pics?

Is it highly suggested to protect the mount or to protect carb.

It was spoke of on directions for my new header.

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
In my 1.5 years of opeling I had no clue there was a heat shield on the motor mount and trans tunnel. anyone have some pics?

Is it highly suggested to protect the mount or to protect carb.

It was spoke of on directions for my new header.
Not that someone may have one, but, you could probably make one just as easy.

·
Über Genius
9,375 Posts
I have one readily available that I can take a picture of but it's not installed.
For an installed picture I'd have to jack up the car.

·
Bikini Inspector
5,771 Posts
A pic out of the car is fine, and your thought on their effectiveness etc. Judging by the fact its not in your car, and I have never seen one yet, I assume they are not a big deal

·
Über Genius
9,375 Posts
A pic out of the car is fine, and your thought on their effectiveness etc. Judging by the fact its not in your car, and I have never seen one yet, I assume they are not a big deal
They are a HUGE deal. They keep the passenger side cooler reducing the chances of fire.
I just happen have one from my parts car. My driver has one in it.

heatshield1.jpg
heatshield2.jpg

·
tomking
2,484 Posts
They are a HUGE deal. They keep the passenger side cooler reducing the chances of fire.
I just happen have one from my parts car. My driver has one in it.

View attachment 72865
View attachment 72857
That is not the motor mount heatshield. That is the GT passenger footwell heat shield.
The motor mount HS goes on top of the passenger side motor mount and shields the rubber from the exhaust.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,274 Posts
I've always taken them off and found them to be more trouble than they are worth. If they were made out of limited-heat conducting stainless steel, like carb heat shields, then they would make sense to me. But they aren't and they rust like pirhana are eating them. To me, they're more of a heat sink, so that you can be assured of boiling your carb.

I've removed 3 of them in my life and every one of them had lost tools, nuts, and bolts in them. I think they were originally designed by Snap-On as a way of boosting the sales of 13mm sockets.

:lmao:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts