Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Opeler
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone tell me where the heated rear window relay is physically located. i thought it was supposed to be near the fuse panel but i don't see anything like it. i'm worried the dreaded p.o. removed it as an unnecessary item...

bob

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Bob, I can't say exactly where it is, but I do know the wiring for it is in the same bundle that goes to the rear lites and gas tank. That bundle starts at the fuse panel, goes down in front of the driver's side kick panel, and travels along the side of the car to the rear along side the fuel tank. Where it exits the bundle I can't say, I removed those wires from my harness, because I didn't have that rear window and I needed the room to run extra wires for my electric antenna back there. HTH.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
One thing you need to know is that some dealers added rear defrost but didn't add a relay. If it is bone stock then it will be mounted to the firewall side of the fuse box. You can identify it by the external fuse on the outside of the relay. HTH

·
Opeler
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, apparently the relay is MIA. the connection at the window is there and the wire runs towards the fuse area so i can only assume he ditched the relay. maybe the window wasn't working so he figured he'd just pull it...

·
No....its not a Buick....
1,552 Posts
just out of curiousity, do you have the little rear defrost light indicator just to the left of the steering wheel and just above where the fuse box is mounted??
JOE

·
Senior Contributor
5,133 Posts
Relay is mounted to the back of the fuse box right next to all the other relays.
The proper relay has a red fuse built right into it that sits verticle. I have one at home that I can take a pic of if you need it. I might even have an extra one, I am not sure.

·
Banned
54 Posts
Rear Window heater relay

Correct the relay is mounted forward of the fusebox it should have an external fuse it should also have 2 black wires running to one lug one of these is the actual wire running to window the other is for indicator lamp. one red wire running to fuse box one gray and red termination unknown one blue and white that is part of altenator circuit. Basically al this keeps the relay from energizing unless the altenator is actually producing voltage. You can't kill your battery if you have the heater on key on but engine not running. Incidently the indicator light on my 73 is just below the drivers side vent it is a red light.

·
478 Posts
I just pulled a rear defrost window out of a gt and was looking for the light and relay.I looked all over for a switch but you have explained that there isn't one"at least I tried."None of it was there.

·
1000 Post Club
4,118 Posts
richrosenberger Incidently the indicator light on my 73 is just below the drivers side vent it is a red light.
Mine is a '72 and it is in the same place but the light is clear(white).

·
Opeler
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tried again but still no luck

crawled back into the fuse area (what fun!) and found 2 round cans with 2 terminals each (but nothing connected to them) but nothing like what was described above so it must be gone. however i did find the indicator lite below the vent. mine is white as well. jeff, if you do have an extra, i would obviously be interested. just let me know.
i also found a rectangular can with 4 terminals mounted to the firewire above the brake and clutch pedals (again, nothing connected. why all these relays without wires???). any ideas what this one could be? i've taken to labelling everything with a magic marker as i trace the wires...

bob

·
Banned
54 Posts
Sounds Like

as the relays failed in your car the p.o removed them and disabled the circuits or ran them straight to the fuse box (dangerous). Here is what I know from my 73 gt

1 seat belt relay
1 rear defroster relay
1 headlamp relay
1 key buzzer
1 seat belt buzzer
1 headlamp dimmer relay

All of these should be mounted forward of the fuse box.

·
1000 Post Club
4,118 Posts
rsefczek said:
crawled back into the fuse area (what fun!) and found 2 round cans with 2 terminals each (but nothing connected to them) but nothing like what was described above so it must be gone. however i did find the indicator lite below the vent. mine is white as well. jeff, if you do have an extra, i would obviously be interested. just let me know.
i also found a rectangular can with 4 terminals mounted to the firewire above the brake and clutch pedals (again, nothing connected. why all these relays without wires???). any ideas what this one could be? i've taken to labelling everything with a magic marker as i trace the wires...

bob
I don't have any fuse box parts, but I'm sure someone here has one. If you have the indicator light, what exactly are you looking for?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
O.k. the two round cans with two terminals are the sealt beat and ignition buzzers, the square one with four terminals could be the seat belt relay, or the rear window relay. The reasoning is the seat belt relay had short jumpers to the buzzer, at least on mine and the relays were mounted to the studs protruding from the back of the fuse box towards the firewall, nothing around the pedals except the windshield foot wiper switch and squirt pump. HTH.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.