Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at either Hoosier A3S03 or Kumho Ecsta V700s for my GT. Does anyone know of a dealer that can beat tirerack's prices?
The kumhos are 235/45/13 at $103 or hoosier 225/45/13 $151 and are being mounted on my 13x9 wheels.

TIA

Dan

·
Registered
84 Posts
I can't help you with prices...

maybe try www.discounttiredirect.com

but please let me know how those tires work for you. I'm wanting something for my GT for this AutoX season, and I don't think the Falken Azenis come in the size I need (215/60-13)

·
Super Moderator
13,843 Posts
The Kumho Ecsta V700 is available in a 215/50-13, not quite the 215/60 you were looking for, but close. Last time I checked (thoroughly), no one made any 215/60-13's anymore in any US available brand.

Dan, Tire Rack's prices are pretty much rock-bottom. I've never found better prices to the public.

Bob

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Bob, just thought I'd check with the people who have actually purchased them before =)

Are the Hoosiers worth the extra $200/set?

·
Opeler
36 Posts
Hoosiers are faster but not really worth the extra money if you just run regional events. GMR had a tire test a couple of issues ago with the kuhmos coming in second to the hoosiers. From the sounds of your thread your fairly new to Auto-x. I've ran both Kuhmos and Hoosiers bang for buck the Kuhmos are better for longevity. With my GT I get two years on the Kuhmos and only one on the Hoosiers. I do at least 15 Auto-x's a year and 4-5 track lapping events. I have 1/2 season on my latest Escta V-700 and they look hardly worn. The Falken Azines are a good tire but they're a loud tire driving and they get louder the more worn they get and the Kuhmos are much stickier and with our lite cars last a long time. What class are planning to run, this will deside on the tires you should get. There's other places than Tire Rack to get tires but all the competition tires are sold at a discount ( same price ) at every place that sells them the only thing you save is on the shipping. If you have a Discount Tire around you they don't charge shipping. Another place is Onlinetires.com. Locally we have Tires Plus that doesn't charge shipping but does charge sales tax. Is there a local Auto-x club by you, I'd ask them as there must be a local source. Over the years I've bought from all I've listed except online tires but my competitors have with positive feelings about the company. remember the best thing is seat time seat time and more seat time.

hth
Lee Frisvold
GT 2.4 long time autocrosser

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm running FSP. I have only auto-xed a FWD car before and on street tires I was in STS class then.

Thanks for the link I'll check it out.

Dan

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
Dan,

I don't know what your future autocross plans are, but if there is a chance you'll be moving into 'prepared' you should get 7" wheels as the 9" wheels will not be allowed...

-Travis

·
Registered
84 Posts
and if you want STS, the Falken Azenis are your friends. They are pretty much street-legal R-compounds. They won't bump you out of Street classes

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I talked to the guy who classifies the cars in our local club. He said he would let me run in FSP. I am overbore for the class, but he is letting that slide.

Got the wheels in today.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cost was $335 shipped with 45 degree lug nuts weight 15lb ea. Fairly light for steel wheels.

·
Super Moderator
13,843 Posts
That's a pretty good weight. I think I weighed the stock 4-spoke Opel steel 13 x 5 wheels once, and they were 17 lbs each?

Check Circle racing wheels too, they make probably the lightest steel racing wheels. As Dan mentioned, don't forget the 45 degree lugnuts! Most steel and aluminum OEM and aftermarket wheels use 60 degree, but circle-track type racing wheels use 45 degree tapers.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The wheels are not DOT legal. They do not have a secondary bead lock design, if you see the pic they only have the outer lip and no 'bump' on the inner surface to hold the tire incase of a side impact with a curb or something. For the price these are a pretty good wheel and are made for racing on paved surfaces. The company has closer to DOT legal wheels too, but they add about 2lb or so and about $15/wheel.

If you go to DiamondRacingWheels.com you will see they have many sizes to choose from along with prices and weights listed for each. I had to call rather than email them, they custom make all non-stocked wheels and turnaround was 7 working days on my doorstep!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts