Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I though the hard part of re-doing the brakes on my GT was gonna be finding parts. Well, I've got 'em all now but cant separate the hub from the rotor cause I cant find the 12pt socket I need. I did find a Monroe Muffler that said they could do it for me but was hoping to by a set...today if possible. Any ideas? I already checked the local Sears, Harbor Freight store, and Advance Auto. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Napa

Advance should have had them, but if not I've never been to a NAPA that didn't have the tools. Good luck!

·
1,712 Posts
I would try a Mac tool truck or one of the other tool trucks , dealer tech. will have their phone numbers . HTH

·
Opeler
71 Posts
Serrated Bit!

Napa has them and the # you should tell them is SER2305.That should be the 10 mm bit size.Good luck.Be careful not to strip the bolt when removing.Soak with penetrating oil(not wd 40). Clean out the insert hole very well,then insert bit,put the bit in a socket and a short extension on that(an old one you don't care about)hit bit with a small hammer several times to shock the bolt.If the bolt head feels as if it will strip out or feels stuck heat is the only way to extract them without destoying the bolt(use an acetylene torch).Good luck!

·
Code Goober
243 Posts
When I went looking for mine, it seemed that no one had a clue as to what I was talking about (twelve points, looks like a torx wrench, blah blah..). Finally, I found someone to translate. Try using the term "three square" driver, as that is what it is commonly referred to (ie you may not be having trouble finding the tool, just trouble finding a person who knows what you are talking about). Good luck.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
There's a tool in my box I've been using for years, in fact, I use it so much I just grab it without thinking anymore. Great for bolts that are stubborn to get out. I used it on my rotor to hub bolts and it worked great. Started using it to remove the side case screws on my bikes. It's an impact driver! You set it to loosen or tighten the fastener and smack it with a hammer. The sudden shock most of the times breaks the fastener loose and it will spin right out. If not, usually a couple of blows will do the deed. Of course it doesn't hurt to use a rust eater/penetrant prior to using it. Now if the bolt is really rust welded in place, nothing will really help in a quick removal. The "Bolt from hell" proved that. And as always, before you install any bolt or nut, use anti-sieze compound on the threads. ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,928 Posts
Go to NAPA or any decent auto supply store and ask if they sell the Lisle brand of speciality tools. The set you are looking for is called a "Triple Square brake rotor tool set" and comes with four bits: 6 mm (no use that I have found), 8 MM (for the cam gear and torque tube bolts), 10 mm (for the brake rotors) and 12 mm (the head bolts). Should be right on the shelf, or hanging from the peg board.

HTH

·
Opel Addicts
2,475 Posts
I found the whole set at Autozone a couple of years ago. Cost less than $10.

Allen :cool:

·
Registered
9 Posts
If this is the same tool you are asking about it is called a star bit 12 pt 10mm KD tool # 2305 Or GM special tool J21737 Advance Auto does have them KD 2305 for $6.99 how did the owners manuals work out for you Brian?

·
Opeler
856 Posts
Use your phone to call your parts houses for Lisle tools, part no. 60750, called a 12 point, triple square Metric internal wrench bit set. Comes with 6, 8, 10, and 12 mm sizes. They should all sell Lisle tools.
Good luck,
Wes

1 - 10 of 10 Posts