Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned my '72 GT for a few years with the intenet on fixing it up as a learning experience about cars, but never got around to until now. My question is as broad as it can be but, where do I start? The body has minor damage that could be fixed without much cost, and there's very little rust. Should I rip everything out and get the body fixed up nice first? or Should I get the engine in better working/running condition(it runs ok now except for a radiator problem, i think its busted)? My intent is not to hotrod my GT nor is it to return it to stock. I just want to learn, that's all. I've picked up on some of a few known/common problems from reading forums on the net and just from experience, but i want to enjoy my GT more than ever for some reason as of late. So any help/advice is appreciated in advance!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'd start by doing a thorough inspection; figure out what all is wrong, what HAS to be fixed first. If it's a car you don't use for transportation, then going through the body first to catch little repairs before they become big ones may be an option. If you have to keep it running, then the radiator would be your first priority. Keep in mind that some things can be done easier while other things are being done. Need brake work? Then repack the wheel bearings while you're at it; it's a lot less effort than doing the job separately. Detailing your engine compartment is much easier when the engine's out for a rebuild. And so on...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts