Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Opeler
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my local machine shop reground my crankshaft they pulled the timing chain gear and distributor gear. I'm ready to put he crankshaft in but I want to make sure I press the gears back on in the right order :) . It looks like the timing chain gear goes 1st with the teeth to the rear. Can anyone help?

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Timing chain gear first. Distibutor drive second, little known fact is that the distributor drive can be installed after the timing cover. Don't ask me how I know this, it's embarrassing.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Nobody, I don't know what you did, but I probably did the same or similar. I was cranking my engine over testing the ignition system. Didn't have the front pulley on as I was making a tiny one out of the big one...
While testing the sparky system it suddenly quit making those huge fat blue lightning bolts across the tester. Thought I blew something up! Pulled the cap and found I could spin the rotor by hand. Not cool. Then noticed the distributor drive had pushed forward on the crank. Why not, there was nothing to hold it in! Duh... :rolleyes:
Would've really felt dumb if I had the engine running when it slipped out.
But I'm not that stupid. Hopefully. I do surprise myself sometimes! :D

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
He! He!

I well remember a chat session about what to do if one left the distributor drive gear off the crank snout and put the timing cover on! I suggested that it might fit in through the seal hole - without having to remove the front cover ......... ! Fortunately Nobody did not ask me how I knew that either. ;)
BTW - also established that the distributor drive gear is sysmetrical and will go on either way around OK.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
I had the 2.0 in the car, front pulley on and couldn't get the distributor to engage. Motor was oil primed and ready to fire up.....almost. Oh forgot to mention I already had that very easy to work on fan shroud installed. Don't get me started on Opel...adventures into the dark side so to say. Dropping a main cap with black moly assembly lube on new carpet comes to mind. Gear oil from a tranny you blew up is very slick on visqueen. Even in a manta the motor mounts can break so be careful removing the tranny cross member. Not that a motor and tranny together weigh alot as they slip off the mounts....Just some stories I've heard....really. I try hard not to claim them but the scars on my right hand from the tranny end on the manta and the scars on my leg from the tranny give it away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts