Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Opeler
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am putting in a Getrag 5 speed in my GT which i assume used regular transmission oil before. I would like to use a synthetic oil but i don't know which? I appreciate your suggestions.
Mauri

·
Super Moderator
9,826 Posts
Gear oil

Mauricio;
OGTS states that the synthetic oil is the one to use. I used it in my GT when I made the swap several years ago, still doing great!
Gene

·
Kick a little asphalt
1,485 Posts
The MTL is a bit lighter weight which minimizes parasitic losses. I have used it in my track car which sees frequent hard use without any problems for four years now. I also use it in my wifes Kadett which still has the original 4 speed. It made an enormous difference in the Kadett after flushing out the old oil. You may want to use the 90wt if you live in an extremely hot climate but, otherwise I would recomend MTL. Some synthetics will not work well as they won't allow the synchronizers to work properly which is actually due to a lack of friction. The MTL does not present this problem.

Duane

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Red Line MT90

BQS4 said:
I will be installing a 5-spd in my Sportwagon soon, and I'll definitely be using synthetic.
Gene
I use MT90 in both 240's in my '72 GTs (2.15 SSD, 2.4 FI roller) and in my Bitter 3.9 Getrag 265. I use Red Line 75W90 (additional additives for positrac and NOT recommended for gearboxes) in the Bitter posi rear end and MT90 in the 2.4's Quaife (Torsen) rear end. Great stuff!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.