Opel GT Forum banner

Which one to keep?

2K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  GTJIM (R.I.P.) 
#1 · (Edited)
I have 2 GTs that I bought recently, both 73s. I will only be keeping one, so here is my dilemma:
One is a yellow Auto
One is a blue manual

Both are being stored at my neighbor's bodyshop (home addition in progress so no room here), and the painter said he wants one if I sell. So I am going to make him the offer that if he does the body and paint on the one that I keep, he can have the other (I paid ~$500 each for them).

So.....I will likely do a drivetrain conversion (likely the ford turbo coupe), and will then be left with the Opel drivetrain.
Is there any advantage to keeping one over the other. Will the auto drivetrain be more valuable, or will the manual be more in demand?

Since the body and paint is out of the equation, and both run and drive (at least around the yard), and the condition of them are pretty much equal, any difference in which I keep?

(I am going to try have him paint my chevy truck in the deal too :) )

Tim

See less See more
#2 ·
Simple! If you plan on a swap with an auto - keep the automatic one and visia versa. You will need the car with the appropriate pedal assembly. The auto has no clutch pedal and a manual conversion may just need that. ;)

#3 ·
Hi Tim,
I would keep the manual as that is the more desireable of the GT models. If you ever plan on doing a tranny switch I believe it is far easier to go from a manual to an automatic than vice-versa, easier to delete equipment then to add it on. Everything else being equal keep the 4 speed.

#5 ·
"So there is nothing special or 'rare' about the auto model?"

The auto GT is very limited to what you can get out of it performance wise, which for most people makes it a much less desireable car. With a manual you can upgrade to a 5 speed Getrag for better fuel economy and performance. With the auto you are stuck with what you have. There are no swappable overdrive trannys from Opel or any other make. Without offending anyone the autos make a great "girls" car, for someone who has no desire to learn how to shift a manual and the joy that comes from running the gears! I, by the way, have an auto Manta that I dearly wish was a four speed so I could once again experience the joy of a stick shift. Maybe one day I willl do the conversion but for now must suffer with an automatic transmission. :(

#6 ·
Well....with the ford conversion, I plan to go auto....for two reasons:
1....it will be my daily driver car, and auto is just more sane.
2....turbos like auto more as they 'load up' better and turbos like load...

Plus, if I want to stir the gearbox, my 240Z V8 has a 6 speed. My current daily commuter is a Z28....also 6 speed and the traffic doesn't agree with the gearbox....or my left leg....

But that point is well taken that it's easier to remove than to retrofit, so I think I will keep the 4 speed and dump the auto.....
Thanks guys!

#10 ·
"Hey Jeff, if you lived close by, I'd trade you a auto for a oem 4-sp. When you start getting old, sometimes , that auto is a nice feature."

At 46 I am still young enough to want to run the gears but smart enough to know that when a rare Manta presents itself you better grab it no matter what tranny it has! However, if you ever take yours out for a long drive and get lost and end up just north of Milwaukee maybe we can work out a swap!
:p

#11 ·
#13 ·
Tim240Z said:
Well....with the ford conversion, I plan to go auto....for two reasons:
1....it will be my daily driver car, and auto is just more sane.
2....turbos like auto more as they 'load up' better and turbos like load...

Plus, if I want to stir the gearbox, my 240Z V8 has a 6 speed. My current daily commuter is a Z28....also 6 speed and the traffic doesn't agree with the gearbox....or my left leg....

But that point is well taken that it's easier to remove than to retrofit, so I think I will keep the 4 speed and dump the auto.....
Thanks guys!
Given that your upgrade will be an automatic, I would keep the Auto GT. For more than a couple of reasons. Most important not to cannibalize a manual GT. I'm not sure on the GT, but in a Manta the auto tunnel is larger.

#18 ·
in answer to 1 point raised , yes in europe they sell more stick shift than slush box cars
we have normaly run smaller engines than the V8's used in the states and a car with say 40 bhp (an austin mini ) with an auto box would have trouble moving with the power loss

#19 ·
But I wouldn't trade my "slush box" [as you call the automatic] for a shift stick anymore. I like the relaxed way of driving, Don't have to think about weather or not I'm in the right gear, and driving in a city isn't tyring anymore, because of the constant shifting between second and third gear.

#22 ·
4-speed Auto!

That is what I LOVE about the Monza and Senator - A 4-speed auto with three 'modes' .... Economy; Sport & Winter.
Sport Mode lets the engine rev out to the redline at 6,400 rpm then 'bang-shifts' into the next gear.
The same every time ... totally consistent!
Enjoy watching manual cars fall back as they shift then struggle to catch up .. till they have to shift again! As the Opels top out in 3rd a press of the 'mode' button on top of the gear selector lever lets it go into overdrive fourth at about 110 mph and then the lock-up convertor engages to give another little boost that puts top speed up above 130 mph ..... by which time the manual car is receding into the distance in the rear-view mirror!
A manual is just un-necessary exercise .. :lmao:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.