Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know most of you don't have much use of the metric speedometer... but i figured i could share them anyway..

right click, "save target as"

they are the correct size when printed out in real scale (100%), then they have to be cut with a skalpel and plastificated (a fotocopy shop shoud be able to do it for a dollar or two), then just a couple of holes for the screws and you're done..

I prefer the off white look, gives it more of a classy sporty look than the black ones. :)

(oh, and, i painted the dials red, white on white doesen't quite work)

Attachments

· OPEL-LESS!!!
2,111 Posts
any way to get this in MPH?

· Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, send me a picture of your original mph gauge as "head on" as posible, and i'll make one. Also if you would preffer it to read Opel instead of General Motors, i'll do that too. :)

· OPEL-LESS!!!
2,111 Posts
wow, that is really neat sven. i'll send pics when i get home today (only 2 more hours till i'm outta school!!!). i have some obsession with blue and white, and whatever of the 2 mantas i end up with wil be stratoblue with white accents of some kind somehow, and those would be a nice touch!!!

· Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OT: something i wanted to ask for a while... What are accents? i realise they are some type of graphical detail, but what exactly? theres a happy bunch of guys working on a manta in belgium and still trying to get a good looking concept of these "accents" to put on the car.

btw... I never liked the stock lighting of the gauges in the manta, it was allways uneaven, yellow and weak, so i drilled two 5mm holes in the side of the black plastic that goes between the glass and gauge faces on each gauge.. and fitted a 1000mcd white LED in each, then chromed the plastic with foil to reflect light better... i think its a bit of an improovment.
i might put in a potenciometer (is that the right word?) to regulate the brightness. :)

Attachments

· Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
1996 Opel Calibra
7,943 Posts
Sven said:
OT: something i wanted to ask for a while... What are accents? i realise they are some type of graphical detail, but what exactly? theres a happy bunch of guys working on a manta in belgium and still trying to get a good looking concept of these "accents" to put on the car.

btw... I never liked the stock lighting of the gauges in the manta, it was allways uneaven, yellow and weak, so i drilled two 5mm holes in the side of the black plastic that goes between the glass and gauge faces on each gauge.. and fitted a 1000mcd white LED in each, then chromed the plastic with foil to reflect light better... i think its a bit of an improovment.
i might put in a potenciometer (is that the right word?) to regulate the brightness. :)
Very trippy.. might have to do that to my sons car, but with a Red LED.

LIke to do what you did instead of White do it with Red faces..

The orignal file is it in AutoCAD or some sort of image file?

Charles

· OPEL-LESS!!!
2,111 Posts
accents are kind of like little small detail pieces. small stripes can be accents, or wood interior can be called wood accents. kinda hard to explain but its basically small pieces that make the car seem to fallow a specific look or theme for the car. kinda like my GT is themed in white and blue. so i puta blue engine in the car to match the stripe, and made more wood pieces for the interior to accent the wood steering wheel.

can somebody explain this better? i suck with words.

· Manta Maniac
1,386 Posts
Revcounter/Tacho?

Nice Job Sven,
Any chance you could do a revcounter face to match?...I tend to ditch the clocks and install revcounter as per Manta Rallye...
BTW,there are 2 different Manta A KPH faces, 200 for the regular car and 220 for the GT/E.
rgds, Rob.

· Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes, it would be no problem, but as i don't have the original faces of the opel rpm meter or mph, i would need a picture of those so i know how the numbers are oriented. my email is [email protected] (without the n0spm part), so as soon as you send them, i'll make some

2Charles: they are in psd format (if i can still find the originals).. its too much of a fuss to do in autocad.

btw.. wouldn't the 220 km/h gauge need a different mechanism as well? because if you put 220 where 200 used to stand, that wouldn't show the right speed. or am i wrong? can it just be calibreted via the dial spring starting position tension? :)

The GT had 240km/h, and afterall its the same engine and trans... now i'm tempted to make one for it even though it may never reach that speed, it looks faster. :cool:

· Super Moderator
9,837 Posts
Wouldn't you need a euro speedo to do this correctly, as it's calibrated different than a US speedo? I mean you can't take these faces of Sven's and put them on a US speedo and expect it to read correctly.

· Manta Maniac
1,386 Posts
Must admit, I haven't looked at a KPH and MPH speedo side by side to compare number spacing, but I suspect the 200 KPH is a direct swap. the 220 has a longer scale on it I think...will have to do some comparison's later...
Sven, the GT is scaled to 150MPH, but it is a bigger diameter than the Manta, so would not fit, unless you modded the dash or made a pod.
I'll take the face off a revcounter and scan it in next week....I'm off to Bermuda tomorrow for a few days (insert sympathy here..lol). :D

· Super Moderator
9,837 Posts
Rob;
I ask about the euro speedo as I have one in my Sportwagon. The euro speedo goes right in like the US speedo, but, it's definitely calibrated different.
Gene

1996 Opel Calibra
7,943 Posts
I think I have a spare MPH and Tach in my garage I can scan for you.

Here is another concept for everyone.. I think it would be possibler if you have modded your Opel with new tires, to "fix" the speedo by modifying the face instead of the mechanics.. Hmm..

You know with a Tach face, a standrad tach guts (from another car) RPM is RPM..

It could be possible to modify all those darn clocks over to Tachs..

Charles

· Manta Maniac
1,386 Posts
Gene,
The "W" number will definately be different, I usually just drop in a euro speedo to convert my US spec cars to Canadian (metric) spec..I've not actually looked at a faceplate change...will have to investigate further.... :confused:

· Opeling since 1991!
314 Posts
GoinManta said:
I think I have a spare MPH and Tach in my garage I can scan for you.

Here is another concept for everyone.. I think it would be possibler if you have modded your Opel with new tires, to "fix" the speedo by modifying the face instead of the mechanics.. Hmm..

You know with a Tach face, a standrad tach guts (from another car) RPM is RPM..

It could be possible to modify all those darn clocks over to Tachs..

Charles
I would not suggest that since your odometer would be waaaay off after a while.

· boomerang opeler
5,661 Posts
BQS4 said:
Wouldn't you need a euro speedo to do this correctly, as it's calibrated different than a US speedo? I mean you can't take these faces of Sven's and put them on a US speedo and expect it to read correctly.
gene is a us mile 1760 yards/5280 feet? if so the euro speedo will be the same i know your gallon is smaller but i think your mile is the same

1996 Opel Calibra
7,943 Posts
Yep.. it is and thats why the UK speedos from the 70s work in the Gray Markets. My Gray marketed Commodore B had a UK speedo installed and it worked fine.

I have the faces of a US Speedo and a Tach I plan on scanning in the next week or so.

Charles

1996 Opel Calibra
7,943 Posts
Excelsior said:
I would not suggest that since your odometer would be waaaay off after a while.
True but if its going to be off anyway, at least with the speedo being "fixed" you wont get a ticket ;)

Charles

1996 Opel Calibra
7,943 Posts
I was looking at doing a Red Face with Silver text.

Sven are yours vectors or bitmaps?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.