Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
1996 Opel Calibra
7,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where to get a 165/80r13 white wall tire?

Prefer vintage, but accept modern.

Already tried TireRack, online and even Coker tire

· 1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
My dad has an account with the tire shop, they have been able to track down some really weird stuff for us in the past (military spec Jeep tires, oddball slicks). Do you want me to see if there is anything they can do?

Do you know of any cars that had this size tire as factory equipment?

165/80/13 That's a lot of sidewall!

1996 Opel Calibra
7,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
madhatterpdc said:
My dad has an account with the tire shop, they have been able to track down some really weird stuff for us in the past (military spec Jeep tires, oddball slicks). Do you want me to see if there is anything they can do?

Do you know of any cars that had this size tire as factory equipment?

165/80/13 That's a lot of sidewall!
These would be the thin white walls. See the front tire of my Blue Max in the photo gallery.

I did find them though by going directly to the Firestone/Bridgestone website. but what I would like to find are vintage bias-ply thin white walls (about 3/4" of a inch I think). Preferably Michelin or Dunlop (I think they were the OEM brand for Opel then).

I would even take used tires as long as they look ggod and hold air.

And you thought I was kidding about the Solex for my Blue Max... ;)

· Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
GoinManta said:
These would be the thin white walls. See the front tire of my Blue Max in the photo gallery.

And you thought I was kidding about the Solex for my Blue Max... ;)
It is called "Mouldy Figism" here! Old very mouldy figs!

Thanks for loading up the pictures and yes it is the exact type of car that I am remembering ... but I still don't know where! It must be an age thing - or "mouldy brainism" :eek:

1996 Opel Calibra
7,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Old Hippie said:
I like the old "Red Line" style, but the prices are a bit stiff for a cheapskate like me! :D
Thats the great thing about the modern 165/80r13 thin white walls I can find. Less than $35 each.

BUt when it comes down to it, I am not looking for them because I like them, its because white walls were part of the Blue Max package.

587 Posts
Charles,

I just stopped at my friends tire & exhaust shop. He put 165/80/13 into his warehouse computer & it showed about 6 different radial whitewall tires that he can get. Ranging from about $30-$45 dollars each. The 2 more popular brands were Kelly Springfields & Kuhmos. He even has whitewall snow tires in that size.

You should be able to find them locally in Virginia somewhere. I doubt you'll find any new 'Bias Ply' tires anywhere cheap.

~ Tom C.

1996 Opel Calibra
7,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep I found Firestone and Bridgestone in a modern 165/80r13 with white wall (same about price). I may go with them if I can't find vintage tires that are correct.

· Super Moderator
15,257 Posts
I have found the tire brands to vary depending on what part of the country the Opel was originally sold in. For example, in New England almost all the Opels I've stripped had a Goodyear Polyglass spare tire, and most spares are OEM I've found.

Charles, I could probably find 2 or 3 original tires such as this in good condition if I really looked.

Bob

1996 Opel Calibra
7,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That would be great.. even better of course would be a set of 4. But having a brand name and model to Google helps a lot.

Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.