Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm beginning the restoration of my 72 Manta, keeping the original motor with some mild performance updates to retain the essence of the original car. I'm picking up a parts car that has some very usable parts, but the rust is bad, to the point most people would say its scrap metal. I think it is 'savable' but not worth an original resto. It may be a good candidate for a V8 swap. I would feel no guilt in cutting and welding this thing up.
I've been around enough to know what's required for swaps like this, but I'd love to see some completed ones, in Mantas or GTs or the other Opels. I know most engine swaps turn into unfinished projects, so who has actually complete it?? Let's see some pictures. V8s only!

·
Opeler
31 Posts
No. The Red one is mine. In 2008 it went 7.52 @ 185. Now it is under complete overhaul with new chassis (about #600 less weight), two new Borg Warner turbos (76MM) rated at about 100 HP more each than the 67 MM Precision units and hopefully a skinnier driver. The Blue ones are my friends. The Striaght blue one is going through a LS trans transplant and the multicolored one is still Ford with a blower motor being installed. I will update as 2022 reaps results. Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very nice Opels! I picked up the parts Manta, while it has the parts I need, the body is really bad. Certainly no shame in v8 swapping it. My idea is to build front frame rails that can take a Fox body mustang K-member, this gives plenty of aftermarket support for suspension/brakes and ability to use virtually any engine. With the aftermarket tubular k members I should be able to keep the weight down. Fox body rear axle in the back with an aftermarket torque arm setup for a mustang. It will only add to the width a little bit. Obviously a lot of fab and engineering work, but would yield a pretty cool car. Thinking more pro-touring than straight drag racing. Still in the planning stage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts