Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a set of Patriot side exhaust pipes and need help on how to mount them. If I do so according to directions the mounting bracket bolt will end up in a closed channel along the door sills with no access to the end of the bolt:confused: If you have side pipes I sure would like to see a photo of how you mounted them. Suggestions from others are welcome!

Thanks in advance.

·
Opel Key Master
5,269 Posts
Side pipes

When I built the Spyder-I was able to mount them to the reinforcement bars I installed. But without-it does seem tricky. I also used the Patriot brand. I used the u-bolts to fasten them, so I would make a sturdy bracket x 2 for each side that resembles an "L" maybe out of 1/4 x 1-1/4 flat bar. You could weld directly to the floor pans-or bolt them on (always better if easily removed) you may want the mount with rubber bushings (I did not use any rubber spacers-I didn't want much flex out of them on the sides. The next part is splitting the exhaust right out as it comes down along the unibody-not much room, although it is not very balanced-I would run two separate pipes right down from the head pipe flange. Not much space to tee together and then split out. Hope this helps some.
Keith

·
Opeler
99 Posts
Im seriously thinking about a side exit on my rotory project. The only problem is that with the rotory there will be a lot of noise...to this end I have been looking at a magnaflow resonator muffler, but the size I want (interior 3" diameter) is a 6" outside diameter and I dont believe there is enough room. And would you mount a bracket to the trans crossmember? (Lengthen the bolt and put the bracket on top of the crossmember, not underneath it...cant have a trans sitting awkwardly...)
-Rob

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
in out muffler

For my IH truck I got a set of quiet mufflers designed for old Novas, they have the "in" and the "out" on the same end. In my case they will be installed under the bed with the "out" coming back to a set of stacks, but they would work just as well for a set of side pipes. I plan on installing a cutout to be able to bypass them and go straight out the stacks, eventually.

As for mounting them, if you have a floor jack I'd use the jack points front and rear. Slip a piece of something 7/8" in diameter into them with a clip on the back side and weld you brackets right on. To take them off all you'd have to do is slip them out.

·
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the thoughts. With just the stock motor and Bobs comments about scavaging from another post, I've decided to use just the right side and leave the left for looks. Here is my delima. Due to the length of the pipes, the "y" joint off the header is about one foot back of the 'L' inlet bend for the pipes. That means a custom pipe must be built. This would result in 3 90 degree turns in that one foot space. Would this create too much back pressure on the engine?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts