Opel GT Forum banner

Who Was 'That Car Guy' At Your High School? (Some Opel content)

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  opeljohn 
#1 ·
#2 · (Edited)
I don't know who owned it, but there was a yellow GT with an offset black racing stripe at my high school. It needed a restoration, but it came to school every day, so the mechanical side of it must have been solid. It's due to this, that I actually know about Opel GT's. The car was interesting, and here I am several years later in the planning stages. It has a unique charm to it, like you restore one and then just never get rid of it. No, it's not a fast car but it sure looks like a car you have fun in regardless of how fast you go. Right now, I drive a 2014 Mustang GT and she has plenty of power, but there isn't a soul behind a newer car. Maybe that has something to do with the computerization of everything in a car now?

Believe it or not, I actually still have a few pics of the car from like 7-8 years ago... Looks like it was a '73. I think it belonged to someone a grade below me. Never would have guessed at the time, taking these pictures would result in me wanting to own one almost a decade later. These shots were taken sometime during the 2008 / 2009 school year.

Attachments

#3 ·
I'm resurrecting a really old thread.

I was looking for something from 2016 and found my post above very interesting. When I wrote that post, I didn't know who owned that Opel. I found out it was someone I knew that owned the Opel GT in those photos. I ended up buying that very car roughly 10 years after seeing it for the first time.

I was known as a car guy back in HS but I didn't have anything cool. Some students had cool cars like Mustangs and Camaros. A close friend of mine had a black 2009 370Z Nismo. I still love that car. I'm sure some of the members on here had some cool cars back in HS.

#4 ·
My Junior year in High School I purchased a 1967 mustang, that would have been in 1971 - silver grey with dark grey spoke mag wheels and the color of the rim basically matched the car. Stock 3 speed 289 and I use to street race it on the 1/4 mile. Won most of those contest as generally for what ever reason I was challanged by someone that had a larger car and automatic - that mustang was pretty quick thru the quarter mile.

#5 ·
My high school years were from 69-71 so we had a number of "car guys". In good weather after parking your car we would hang out in front of school to watch guys do a burn out after dropping off the girl friend. The guy with one or the fastest if not the fastest car had an either 65 or 66 Nova with what started out as a 350 with 375 horse punched up to something above 400HP. A tree limb fell on it and crushed the top. Another classmate who was taking body shop class bought it replaced the top and kept it until he passed a couple of year's ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.