Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Opeler
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, this isn't exactly GT related, but...

Even old junk CNC's auction off for 10's of thousounds of dollars. Why? I've been thinking that there's not all that much to a CNC - basically, 3 stepper motors, a frame and a motor attached to a bit. I've seen a couple of places on the internet where people have rigged together CNC's and programmed them with an old PC. Not a lot of info online about doing such - any of you hardcore garage guys ever made or seen a homebrew CNC? Is there a resource on line for people that put together their own CNC equipment on a negligible budget?

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
The cheapest I've ever dealt with are done by an outfit called Servo products out in California. These are meant to hook to a standard mill or lathe to make them very low end cnc. They aren't m and g code compatable but will do stand alone point to point or thier own kind of posting to program with a PC. Even this type is around 4800 for 2 axis ( just the control, no machine) with a dealer discount. The reason for the cost is resolution or how precise will it control itself, modern A quad pulse generation isn't cheap and neither is it's decoding. Then again you can buy a knee mill for a couple grand and put table feeds and scales on it for around the same price as the low end cnc. This is just operator controled, but you can make scrap easier on a cnc than you can a manual machine. I should have asked you to be more precise as to what you want. HTH

·
Registered
136 Posts
cnc rigs are expensive for several reasons. They are still a specialty piece of equipment and shops can charge a premium for pieces they produce (like custom rims). Also the motors and lag screws are pretty expsenive. The most cost effective route is simple building your own table, it isint very difficult but you must be VERY precise in contrusting the table. For under $5000 you can make yourself a really nice 4 axis table. I've got a friend who is in the middle of making a table, ill try and get a hold of him to see if he has any tips.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Night Shift!

CNC operator/programmers are in demand worldwide. The quickest way to get access to the equipment is to become an operator! A night shift job not only pays well but presents oppourtunities for a job or two of your own ...

Guess what I do for a living........ ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts