Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i am thinkin of importing an opel speedster moter in,why dosnt anyone else think of this engine. first off its an opel engine,it has 144 horses stock and just a very good engine

·
Super Moderator
14,143 Posts
Why import it? It's the same basic Ecotec 2.2 used in the Saturns, and some other GM cars here (Cavalier I think?). The only issues with any of these engines are the lack of a suitable transmission, as all these engines are installed transversely (front drive in the Saturns, and rear drive in the Speedster but transversely mounted in the rear). You'd have to make/adapt a suitable bellhousing and tranny, plus fabricate the appropriate engine mounts. It's been discussed here before on this forum, I think the issue is it's an 'unknown' as well as very new, therefore expensive. But by all means, if you try this swap, let us know how it works out, that engine has a lot of potential.

Bob

·
Opeler
18 Posts
2.2 Ecotec

Bob,

Is this Ecotec engine identical to the 2 liter twin cam Astra engine? If so, all you'll need to import is the Getrag 240 gearbox from a 1.8 Manta. The starter is on the right hand side. You can get these gearboxes for around 30 - 50 British pounds from OMOC. Although I'm not sure about the freight. Cheers!!

·
Super Moderator
14,143 Posts
No, they are not the same. The 2.2 Ecotec is fairly new, I believe the first cars to receive them were the Speedsters. They are an all alloy engine, not the iron block of the 2.0 litre twin cams.

Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts