Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry newbie here, haven';t gotten my car from jared yet and am makng some plans for her... was just wondering how wide of tires i can fit on the rears without going to a fender flare kit? i am trying to see if i can do what i want without going with flares because i want to keep the body primarily stock... (i can do the work of the modling that isn't the issue i just think that like the testerosa kit and steinmertz kits mess up the lines and just uglify the car...

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm running 235/45-13 Kumho Ecsta V700s on 9" rims with 4" backspacing all around. I'm lowered using the 2" sport drop and koni yellow shocks turned 1/2 way up. The fronts come out of the fenders a little (1") and the rear are right about even if not just a hair (1/2" max) out. I had to roll my fenders up just a little since they rubbed on one of our not so even courses.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that thing got some fat rubber right there... looks great... i think i should probalbe tone it down to about 8 in the rears and maybe 6 in the front on mine... since it wn'd tbe a racer or antyhing...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dan said:
I'm running 235/45-13 Kumho Ecsta V700s on 9" rims with 4" backspacing all around. I'm lowered using the 2" sport drop and koni yellow shocks turned 1/2 way up. The fronts come out of the fenders a little (1") and the rear are right about even if not just a hair (1/2" max) out. I had to roll my fenders up just a little since they rubbed on one of our not so even courses.

Nice Dan! I kinda wanna achieve that look on my Ascona. You know how wide I can go??? The fenders are already rolled.

·
Senior Contributor
499 Posts
nice Ascona,

I would stick with the 235/45/13 that is as wide as the readily available 13 inch tires go.

If you don't want to spend a fortune you could use the 215/50/13 that I use as they were only about $40 each. I run those on a 7 inch wide 13 wheel.

If you go to a 14 inch wheel and tire you could get a little fatter as there are 265/50/14s TA's made by Goodrich

·
Registered
39 Posts
calvin said:
nice Ascona,

I would stick with the 235/45/13 that is as wide as the readily available 13 inch tires go.

If you don't want to spend a fortune you could use the 215/50/13 that I use as they were only about $40 each. I run those on a 7 inch wide 13 wheel.

If you go to a 14 inch wheel and tire you could get a little fatter as there are 265/50/14s TA's made by Goodrich
Yeah the $40 (tirerack) 215/50/13 is eactly what I was looking into.

·
Senior Contributor
499 Posts
Sumo's.... make sure that you inflate them to 1 pound under max. They say the sides are soft and full air helps. They are far better than the TA's. I think travis has a set too. The are a hard tire, not like the old perrelli's that left a snail slime of rubber behind you but you notice they are hard at 85-90mph in a long sweeping corner. About then you start wishing for a sticker tire. They will last 50,000 or more for sure though.

I do not think they are the stickyest roadworthy tires out there I just wish I could get some Fulda's Y2000 in that size.

Another good good tire for your money is the Falkens they are only $39 from sears! and they are every bit as good as Kumos' I think and far better wear wise for the street (my opinion only) BUT they only go up to 205 in the 13 size.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm runnin' Yoko 205/60's (they are no where near rubbing)but I want wider. I have a "shimmy" in the wheel prob. right now, and I'm hoping it's just a matter of retorquing the sway bar. Car is garaged 'til ALL SALT has washed off the roads and there's a snowplow bank in front of the door.. I have too many cars and don't have enough time to drive 'em.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
"Simmy"

There are a couple of issues with wider wheels and/or lower profile tyres that can produce "shimmy".

1) the centre of the new, wider tyre MUST be very close to where the original tyre centre was. If it is further in (or out) then the "self-centering" effect of the original steering geometry is compromised and the tyres hunt around for tracking which shows up as "shimmy" Different tyre height also has an effect on this as the geometry is set up by the line between the suspension ball joints and its intersection with the tyre centre so it is also important to have tyres with similar diameter to the original 165 x 13's

2) The wider wheels/tyres are inevitably heavier thus increasing the unsprung weight allowing the wheels to have a much greater effect as they bounce up and down. This is especially critical on a car as light as the GT as any increase in tyre/wheel weight is a bigger percentage of body weight than it is with a full size Buick, for instance.

Thus tyre position and weight can have very adverse effects on ride quality, steering AND braking efficiency.

·
Opeler
36 Posts
I'll let you know next week how the new treads fit. My body is still stock but is going to be highly modified. I have a set of 18" Konigs and 245/35 on the way and will take a pic what it looks like with them on around xmas sometime

·
Opeler
36 Posts
:D :D Santa was good to me and brought my wheels for christmas. These are 18"x 8" (+45 offset) Konig appeal wheels with Opal finish and machined lip. Tires are 245/35/18 Falken GB451's. I will need to put 1.5" spacers on which will give me the needed backspace clearance, but they do barely fit right now. When done they will stick out a bit. Now the car needs to be lowered and widened.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.