Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· 1000 Post Club
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some chromed 15x7 4-bolt rims a while back for my 73' GT.. and now after learning a bit more, I'm concerned about 1. The rims sticking out the sides too far, and 2. Not being able to turn as sharp and possibly some rubbing on the wheel well? Both my fronts and rears are 15x7. Please, any information would be helpful! Thanks - Jon

· Super Moderator
15,247 Posts
Backspacing and tire size are the determining factors. Can't tell you if they'll fit otherwise.

· Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
"Broomstick" measuring

If the distance between the inner bulge of the tyre and the mounting surface of the wheel is more than about 4 1/2 inches then you are getting into problem territory. Just lay the wheel/trye combo outside down and put a broomstick across the tyre and measure down to the mounting face....

· Registered
49 Posts
More info

You should have no problem with the 7" width if the other measurements are OK. There are a couple of other important measurements that are helpful.

Do you know the offset of the wheel? 20mm offset is good for 7" wheels.

Are you sure that the bolt pattern matches? They should be 4 bolts by 100mm across.

· 1000 Post Club
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like I'm SOL here. Alls I know for SPECS are that they are 15x7 with a 42mm offset. They DO have the 4x100 bolt pattern, and I know they do fit some types of Honda's. What do you guys think?

· Super Moderator
9,836 Posts
wheels

Sparky;
Can you post a few pics? Also, just jack one wheel of the car up, jack it under tha a-arm so as to similate being on the ground, then put a wheel on there and look at it full lock-to-lock. Since you don't know the specs, that's the easiest way to tell.
JMTCW,
Gene

· Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Spacers

Sparky73 said:
SPECS are that they are 15x7 with a 42mm offset. /
42mm offset is for front wheel drive cars like the Honda they may be off so you will need to reduce the offset by using 20mm/ 3/4" spacers to move the tyre centre out to where it should be on the Opel and to allow the tyres to clear the bodywork at the back.

· Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Example!

Thanks for the pics NEWGT71. A perfect example of what we are talking about. The wheels do look nice on your red GT but it can be clearly seen how close they are to the inside edge of the wheel wells - particularly at the back.

ErikE : "center hole" tells us exactly what you mean - I don't know if there is a single word in English for the hole in the center of the wheel that locates the wheel centrally on the brake hub.

· Non Civilian
2,104 Posts
You'll need 1" spacers or the wheels will rub the front A arms in the front, and the body in the rear.

· 1000 Post Club
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This was originally my thread LOL. What I came to with that offset..rim size..ect, is that you will need 1" spacers all around. I was lucky enough to have a father that is a tool and die maker, and is used to turning metal on a lathe and having to be VERY accurate, so I had some made for about 1/4 of the price.

Anyways, the only problem I had was the sidewall size on the tires I chose was a little too big, so sharp turning didn't happen. I don't remember what size it was for sure, but I know I went with the same size tires all around, and they were 15x205x?? Alls I know is that they were Assurance Tripletread, and it was the smallest sidewall they offered. But it was still too large :banghead:

· Non Civilian
2,104 Posts
Sparky are you able to get more of those spacers mad? How much?

· Registered
3,089 Posts
Any FWD rim with a 4x100 bolt pattern will fit the GT as long as you use a spacer. The spacer width depends on the offset of the rim and where you want to center the rim. In any case, you will need to trim the original 30mm lugs on your hub to clear the back of the new rim.

These spacers are available for about $90 a set just about everywhere.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.