Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I order one of these....let me first check if this is what I need.....
I have a 72 water pump...with the solid fan.....what I would like to do is have a clutch fan...
Can I bolt the Hayden 2558 onto the pump and then (I would need to buy) use the later (post 75) white fan ...

Is this posssible ?

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
That clutch fan looks very similar to the clutch fan used on the '75 Opel Ascona (aka "1900" ) and Manta. But that used a somewhat different water pump than the earlier Opel CIH engines (look it up on Rock Auto, the water pump with no flange), with a larger shaft and a left-hand thread centre bolt. If you can find that water pump, the left-hand bolt, and the matching fan, and if the fan clutch you listed is the correct clutch, then yes, I suppose you could do all that.

But for about the cost of the fan clutch, you can purchase a decent electric fan, and for a few bucks more, a thermostatic rad fan controller. That provides better, quieter cooling, frees up a few horsepower, and the water pump will last twice as long or more, as the plastic fans are notorious for being out of balance.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
3,350 Posts
I have the part numbers for the fan clutch and the water pump. Let me find the info and post it here. I also know the Opel and GM part numbers for the fan, and some sources for it. I bought hardware from McMaster Carr and can share that info too. I have two complete water pumps with clutch fans, so I’ve done all the homework already.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
3,350 Posts
Ok, here is the info I have for a 1975 clutch fan assembly. Eventually Opel used a fan clutch like the Hayden 2558, that screws onto the water pump pulley. Unfortunately, my computer that has the info for that setup isn't accessible until September but I can provide everything needed for the 1975 setup, which is what I have in my garage waiting to be used in my 2.4L build.

This is what the whole assembly looks like once done...
Automotive tire Dumbbell Bicycle part Rim Gas

The water pump is a GMB 155-2010 and is a replacement part for GM part number 80 090 517, which is the part number on the NOS water pump I have. You can find the GMB water pump online through various sources. It comes with a gasket.

The original fan clutch was GM p/n 08960124 or Opel p/n 1340151. I have a Beck Arnley viscous fan clutch as well, which is p/n 130-0060 but this is also a NOS part that I don't think Beck Arnley provides anymore. This was a somewhat common fan clutch however and was used on the Volvo P1800, MG Midget 1500 and Triumph Spitfire, and the Ford Capri. So, there are a lot of part numbers connected to this viscous fan clutch and that also makes sense. Car manufacturers prefer to use a part already made whenever possible. This is a somewhat unique design actually for a fan clutch, most rely on a threaded attachment or bolt to the water pump in a few spots. I have an alternate GM p/n - 90091367 - for this fan clutch and a Ford p/n too - 75EB-8A-616AA - which is for the Ford Capri. The Ford part number is straight from my Beck Arnley clutch. This will likely be the most expensive individual part of the assembly, between $100 and $200.
Automotive tire Gas Auto part Circle Automotive wheel system

The fan itself could be tricky to find if the sources I have no longer have any in stock. The GM p/n is 08960064 and the Opel p/n is 1340069. Opel GT Source used to have a 7 blade fan (p/n 11034) but they don't show it online. I can't even track down the original part numbers anymore online and I used to find two places that had the 5 blade fan listed. The only lead I have on this fan right now is on eBay in Germany... Original Opel Manta A B Rekord E Fan Impeller 08960064 | eBay
Automotive tire Material property Automotive exterior Bumper Font

There might be a Volvo fan that works however. When looking up info on the fan clutch, the Volvo fan showed up as a related part on eBay and it looks pretty similar. vintage volvo b20 fan blade p1800 1800e 1800es 140 164 oem clutch fan 679276 | eBay. The Volvo part number is 679276.

As for the hardware to finish this off, I bought what I needed from McMaster Carr. Socket head bolts / screws seem to be used a lot on CIH engines, so I kept up with that. For the four smaller bolts and nuts to attach the clutch to the fan, I used p/n 91270A290 for the non-marring locknuts with spring-lock washers and p/n 92235A242 for the socket head bolt. For the center bolt, it needs to be a left-hand thread M10x1.5 and somewhere around 15 to 20 mm long. I used p/n 90605A302 and used p/n 91116A390 as a suitable washer to go with it.
Gas Auto part Metal Rim Fashion accessory

The fan will be the limiting factor for anyone wanting to do this and it could take some hunting for people to find one. Eventually Opel went with a different and more typical setup, where the clutch screws onto the water pump pulley. That newer design does stick out a little more however and I don't know if it will still fit in a GT or would it hit the radiator? I know the ‘75 design that I’m covering here will fit, it’s the most compact option for a clutch fan. I also like oddball, year-specific things in cars so I wanted to use the setup from the 1975 Manta. Based on the info I have shared in this post, someone could get all of these parts for $282 plus shipping and taxes but that only works for the first person to buy the fan from Germany.

If someone wants to do this and asks nicely, I can provide the washer and 4 smaller bolts and nuts, since I have spares. They would only need to buy the center bolt.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I had issues with my 28 amp Electric fan not keeping a consistent temp and when it kicked in it tries to stall at idle. I switched over to a fan clutch and use the electric as a backup now. Happy with it so far.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
3,350 Posts
I did some research on the forum here, which anyone could do by searching fan clutch, and the answer to the Hayden 2558 has already been discussed.

To use a pre-75 water pump, it looks like there was a special pulley to use a clutch fan...

But, I've shared everything someone would need to use the '75 clutch fan setup, so no trial and error is needed. I bought two water pumps so I would have a spare if I ever needed it. I would recommend including spare parts when people work on their Opel, since we never know how long these parts will be made.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ok, here is the info I have for a 1975 clutch fan assembly. Eventually Opel used a fan clutch like the Hayden 2558, that screws onto the water pump pulley. Unfortunately, my computer that has the info for that setup isn't accessible until September but I can provide everything needed for the 1975 setup, which is what I have in my garage waiting to be used in my 2.4L build.

This is what the whole assembly looks like once done...
View attachment 446205

The water pump is a GMB 155-2010 and is a replacement part for GM part number 80 090 517, which is the part number on the NOS water pump I have. You can find the GMB water pump online through various sources. It comes with a gasket.

The original fan clutch was GM p/n 08960124 or Opel p/n 1340151. I have a Beck Arnley viscous fan clutch as well, which is p/n 130-0060 but this is also a NOS part that I don't think Beck Arnley provides anymore. This was a somewhat common fan clutch however and was used on the Volvo P1800, MG Midget 1500 and Triumph Spitfire, and the Ford Capri. So, there are a lot of part numbers connected to this viscous fan clutch and that also makes sense. Car manufacturers prefer to use a part already made whenever possible. This is a somewhat unique design actually for a fan clutch, most rely on a threaded attachment or bolt to the water pump in a few spots. I have an alternate GM p/n - 90091367 - for this fan clutch and a Ford p/n too - 75EB-8A-616AA - which is for the Ford Capri. The Ford part number is straight from my Beck Arnley clutch. This will likely be the most expensive individual part of the assembly, between $100 and $200.
View attachment 446206

The fan itself could be tricky to find if the sources I have no longer have any in stock. The GM p/n is 08960064 and the Opel p/n is 1340069. Opel GT Source used to have a 7 blade fan (p/n 11034) but they don't show it online. I can't even track down the original part numbers anymore online and I used to find two places that had the 5 blade fan listed. The only lead I have on this fan right now is on eBay in Germany... Original Opel Manta A B Rekord E Fan Impeller 08960064 | eBay
View attachment 446210

There might be a Volvo fan that works however. When looking up info on the fan clutch, the Volvo fan showed up as a related part on eBay and it looks pretty similar. vintage volvo b20 fan blade p1800 1800e 1800es 140 164 oem clutch fan 679276 | eBay. The Volvo part number is 679276.

As for the hardware to finish this off, I bought what I needed from McMaster Carr. Socket head bolts / screws seem to be used a lot on CIH engines, so I kept up with that. For the four smaller bolts and nuts to attach the clutch to the fan, I used p/n 91270A290 for the non-marring locknuts with spring-lock washers and p/n 92235A242 for the socket head bolt. For the center bolt, it needs to be a left-hand thread M10x1.5 and somewhere around 15 to 20 mm long. I used p/n 90605A302 and used p/n 91116A390 as a suitable washer to go with it.
View attachment 446212

The fan will be the limiting factor for anyone wanting to do this and it could take some hunting for people to find one. Eventually Opel went with a different and more typical setup, where the clutch screws onto the water pump pulley. That newer design does stick out a little more however and I don't know if it will still fit in a GT or would it hit the radiator? I know the ‘75 design that I’m covering here will fit, it’s the most compact option for a clutch fan. I also like oddball, year-specific things in cars so I wanted to use the setup from the 1975 Manta. Based on the info I have shared in this post, someone could get all of these parts for $282 plus shipping and taxes but that only works for the first person to buy the fan from Germany.

If someone wants to do this and asks nicely, I can provide the washer and 4 smaller bolts and nuts, since I have spares. They would only need to buy the center bolt.
Hi Guys- For what it's worth, i have several of those Left-Hand thread center bolts for the '75 1900. also have several used clutches and fan-clutch fans in 5 and 7-blade versions, all used OEM- Opel stuff. Also have fan-to-fan clutch spacers to move the fan forward 10 mm to clear the crank pulley if the fan has a/c.... Ernie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts