Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if there is a difference in a radiator out of a auto trans. GT from my std. GT. I know that it will have the fittings for trans. lines ,but will it fit and the hoses hook back up thanks for any imput. :)

·
Super Moderator
9,768 Posts
The auto traans radiator will fit, and will hook back up, no problems. But, you could make a little change($), by getting the std radiator and selling the auto radiator.
Gene

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
recore

I would thing the going rate for an automatic trans radiator should be about the same as what a radiator shop would charge to recore your old std trans radiator, but I haven't dealt with either lately, so....

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
eh?

Two schools of thought here:
-More cooling is always better.
-Oil works best after it has warmed up, but isn't too hot.

If you prescribe to the first theory, then go with just an external cooler.

If you want you oil to warm-up, the transmission cooler actually serves two purposes. Initially it heats the oil up to just less than engine coolant temp, then as the oil temp rises it maintains it just above coolant temp. If it isn't enough, say because you are pulling a trailer, you would then add a cooler before the radiator one, so the supply oil to the transmission is always engine coolant temp. You gould get the same effect by using a thermostaticly controlled oil cooler by itself, but they aren't super cheap.

The same actually applies to engine oil. The built-in cooler in an automatic transmission radiator can work very well for maintaining engine oil temerature. I've used that trick countless times, and would highly recommend it to anyone.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the input the reason i asked is there was one on ebay,I looked at something wrong because when i went back to bid on it, it was over:( the seller who had a good selling record did not get a 10.00 bid on it.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
try again

If you are really interested, I would e-mail the seller and see what he's willing to do. The "right" answer, at least according to e-bay, would be for him to re-list the item for you, but most people are willing to just sell stuff outright.

Odds are pretty good it's actually someone here that was selling it, as well. Maybe we could flush him/ her out?

Barring that, if you're still in need of a radiator, drop me a PM or e-mail me directly and we'll see if we can work something out. There is still a fair pile of stuff in the garage, and I'll be moving soon, so you might be able to talk me out of something for a song.

·
299 Posts
well thats all good in true but an automative transmission loves the coolest oil it can get just remeber that a transmisson's bearing arent being hammered by a linear force such as a rod or main bearing
coller transmisson fluid makes the whole system
i knwo all this because i work on transmissions and 75% of the time its heat related problems

1 - 8 of 8 Posts