Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone, it's almost Opel Season!
I have a question, will the stock Opel coil work with the Pertronix Electronic system, or does it take a hotter coil? I've heard both ways.... Thanks

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
you can use the stock coil with the pertronix unit. a flamethrower would would probably enhance the performance, but stock works fine.

·
Super Moderator
5,922 Posts
greensmurf20 said:
you can use the stock coil with the Pertronix unit. a flamethrower would would probably enhance the performance, but stock works fine.
...so long as you power the coil with the stock resistor wire, but you MUST power the Pertronix with a bypass, non-resistor wire, full voltage. And I moved this to the "Ignition" Forum, where there are LOTS of threads on the topic (yea, yea, "use the search" lecture....)

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
yes keith, should have added how it was hooked up with stock coil, that Tom C. so kindly did.

simple, remove points/condenser, bolt pertronix in place, real self explanitory. red wire to positve side of coil, black wire to negative side of coil. all else hooked up as stock had been before.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
It's quite simple . . .

kwilford said:
...so long as you power the coil with the stock resistor wire, but you MUST power the Pertronix with a bypass, non-resistor wire, full voltage. And I moved this to the "Ignition" Forum, where there are LOTS of threads on the topic (yea, yea, "use the search" lecture....)
Come on, guys, it's REALLY quite simple!

To amplify what Keith said . . . and ESPECIALLY since I made the effort to specifically address this question quite some time ago, a search on "pertronix" found my "12-step" thread.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts