Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
499 Posts
Wilwood brake set up

While my booster is not leaking my brakes don’t seem very powerful. I guess it is the dual carbs and only one vacuum line

Currently I have a stock master cylinder and brake booster.
I have vented 75 brakes in front w/green pads and stock brakes in the rear.

I read in this thread http://www.opelgt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4505 bob’s said

“I said 'screw it' and built a custom adjustable brake pedal assembly for his car, eliminating the brake booster altogether. The trick was to make a custom pedal assembly but retain the stock clutch pedal arm.... But there's not a whole lot of room under there to do this. So I just modified a stock Opel Manta/Ascona pedal cluster, retaining the stock clutch arm location and adding the adjustable balance bar pedal assembly and twin racing master cylinders. Total cost was just over $200 for the twin master cylinders (7/8" front and 3/4" rear), and the pedal assembly from Wilwood. I went with the 12" pedal length to increase the leverage ratio so the pedal effort wouldn't be too difficult.

What is a “adjustable balance bar pedal assembly” Which twin racing master cylinders? Where can I buy them or does anyone have an extra set for sale? What should I look for ask for exactly. Is there a special size for the Manta?

I have an extra Manta pedal cluster that does not look stock that I took out of my car when I got it. (The car came off the track) The brake pedal is longer, sticks out more and the clutch pedal pad itself is not centered but moved over to the left and centered not in the middle but the extreme left of the actual pedal part your shoe touches. Not understanding it at the time I pulled it out and replaced it with stock pedal and brake parts. (My car did not come with a master cylinder or brake booster).

I desperately need to improve the stopping ability of the car. A pair of morons on motorbikes pulled a U-turn across the grass medium in today on fed hwy 64, a very busy a six lane wide hwy going into east St Louis. One was on a big Harley the other a trike. The trike has zip for pickup and the fools did it below the crest of a hill on the blind side.

I was in the left lane going about the speed limit (65) because of heavy traffic and there is always lots of radar in the area (sadly none today). We just crested the hill driving three cars abreast when the bikes made their own on ramp a little ways down the hill

I double clutched and pumped the heck out of the brakes. I didn’t hit the guy (barely) but he got to hear the sound of about ten cars with squealing, locked brakes plus everyone who drove by him afterwards shared their opinion of him out the window with hand gestures and choice epitaphs but that is all well and good but I realized I need better brakes.

Very open to improved brake suggestions.

thank you,
Calvin

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
calvin said:
What is a “adjustable balance bar pedal assembly” Which twin racing master cylinders? Where can I buy them or does anyone have an extra set for sale? What should I look for ask for exactly. Is there a special size for the Manta?
I believe he used this pedal

http://www.wilwood.com/Products/PedalAssemblies/002-FSMP/fsmdmcbp/index.asp

and these masters

http://www.wilwood.com/Products/MasterCylinders/003-HVAMC/index.asp

I have driven the car these were installed in and the pedal effort was very high. The brakes worked well, it just took a fair amount of effort.

-Travis

·
Super Moderator
13,844 Posts
Travis said:
I have driven the car these were installed in and the pedal effort was very high. The brakes worked well, it just took a fair amount of effort.

-Travis
I admit freely to the pedal effort being rather high on Gregg's Ascona with the non-assisted Wilwood M/C's. The next 'phase' is to install larger Wilwood front calipers (4 x 1.75" pistons instead of the smaller 4 x 1.375" pistons), which will increase the fluid volume needed at the calipers, increasing pedal stroke somewhat but decreasing pedal effort substantially.

Bob

For some reason, there are two threads on the Wilwood conversion I did, one with photos and one without. Here's the one with the photos:
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=973&highlight=wilwood

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
RallyBob said:
The next 'phase' is to install larger Wilwood front calipers (4 x 1.75" pistons instead of the smaller 4 x 1.375" pistons), which will increase the fluid volume needed at the calipers, increasing pedal stroke somewhat but decreasing pedal effort substantially.
A cheaper alternative would be to install a smaller bore master cylinder for the front brakes

-Travis

·
Super Moderator
13,844 Posts
It's getting new front calipers and vented rotors anyway, so rather than choosing the 1.375" I''m getting the 1.75" piston versions. Right now it has 1975 brakes on it. So no price difference there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts