Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Opeler
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here's a bizarre request. I have owned my '70 GT for about three years now, and this weekend noticed something for the first time:

The driver's side and passenger's side window cranks are in completely different places on the door. I know that the previous owner replaced the vinyl on the door panels (and didn't bother to put the pull handles or door pouches back), so it looks correct, in that there are no extra hold or patches in the vinyl.

Softing through all the pictures on the site, I have not come across one that I can compare the positions to. Is this correct? Or was my car "fixed" at some point in its past?

·
Super Moderator
9,742 Posts
Andrew;
You're not seeing things and someone didn't pull something over on you. The 69 GT's had both window cranks on the lower part of the doors. The 70-73 GT's like yours, were changed for driver convience. The cranks were moved further up the door , BUT, only on the driver's door. My 69 GT is mostly original. the cranks were at the bottom of both doors. My driver's side crank cable broke, so in replacing it, and making it easier to put back in I transfered the mounting holes, via temple I made to the upper part of the door, like the later models. But, that's the way Opel did it.
Gene

·
Opeler
53 Posts
My PO tried and failed to move the crank to the lower mounting hole on the driver's door, so he just left the cable in a rat's nest in the bottom of the door for the next guy (me) to fix. It's strange to see one crank high and the other low, but it is definitely more convenient to use in the higher location.

Bill and the FrankenOpel
Be patient, the power windows are coming.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My 70 has both cranks in the low position, however, my drivers side door has two positions drilled and stamped for the crank. They must have been in the middle of changing over the door panels and such.

·
Registered
98 Posts
HMMM. I believe Opel really mixed and matched as they needed to. My '70 has the Drivers side crank low and the pass. crank high. I prefer it myself just because of it is out of the way of my leg, where as the '72 digs into my leg.

RITTER

1 - 5 of 5 Posts