Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i no this has been talked about befor on this site i couldnt find the thread. but i am about ot have a guy come out and install the front and rear windows on my opel he will put sealer in and all the stuff i am providing the glass and rubber he wants around 200 to come out and put everything in is that a reasonable cost??? just wondering what others have paid.

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no i havent gotten any other quotes on prices but this guy dpecailizes in old cars and installs windows in them almost daily, also if he breaks it he pay for the window too, thats one reason i dont want to risk doing it myself for fear of breaking it.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Relative Costs

The windscreen crack repair franchisees for "Novus" here do mobile windscreen replacements here in New Zealand and in Christchurch we have a couple of slick lads who remove or replace a screen for $NZ35 (about $US25 - at the moment).

This is about 1 hour's labour charge over here.

Make sure the installer IS insured for full replacement cost.

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gtjim it sounds like i should look for anthor guy, do ur guys come out and install them or do u have to bring it to them also do they put the sealer in like the gt's use for the rubber?? thanx for any info.

·
1,973 Posts
up here there is no warrenty on the glass, unless it comes from the window installation service.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Long Trip!

It's a good idea to get a new windscreen rubber from one of the suppliers listed on this site.

OpelGTSource does one with the sliver filler strip and the correct sealer available too.

Check out your hood lining too as to fit that is easier with the screen out - also any work needed on the Dash can be done sooo much easier without a screen in the way.

The Novus guys do the job in the driveway at your house - but I think you are too far away from here for a call-out:D

4,000 miles across the Pacific Ocean from here!

Look in your yellow pages to find your local installers.

·
Opeler
38 Posts
window replacement

I just put my back and front window in myself with the help of my wife and boy. The back was a pain in the butt but the front went right in. They wanted at least 200.00 here and they didn't gaurantee that the window wouldn't break, so I figured I would give it a try myself. That way if I cracked it I would be the only one to blame. I also bought new seals from Opel gt source. Good luck

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i do have new rubber for both front and rear windows i am also putting in a rear window with defroter in it. i had a guy come out today and said he would do it for 100 bucks which is for both windows although he siad he didnt have to put sealler on the gasket but he could if i wanted it. any one use or not use sealler how well does it work???yah im a little to far away for those NZ guys to come over, he he he.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
I put the glass in mine using the string trick. I checked with the glass companies and they said they wouldn't warranty it or insure against breakage unless I got the glass from them. The back popped in really easy but the front took 2 tries. I used sealant on it just becouse the factory did and 1 year later no leaks. I think if somebody were to offer to put it in, warranty and insure the old glass I would have to go that route. I also put new chrome lock strip in and it took more time than the glass did. It was also a bigger pain. I would have to get it in writing first, but for somebody to take the responsibility for it would be worth it to me.

·
1,973 Posts
with in the next 3 weeks I will be selling the locking strips for $25 or so +shipping (enough for the front and back)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts