Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
16,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing a GT electric window conversion write up and video, I was going to throw away the 5 excellent condition regulators I had acquired during my latest car fix up. Sure enough, someone gave me schitt for throwing away good regulators and another guy asked if he could get one of them. So I fished them all out for inspection and to figure out which ones were right or left.

I have 2 right/left pairs with the small spool and one that has the big spool. I couldn't see markings to indicate right/left, even though I've done this before, or maybe my old man eyesight just wouldn't let me see them. I had to search for some old threads to find out where to look. It turns out that those threads were MY threads.

The marking is above the words on the rim of the smaller spools. They say "Re" for "rechts"(right) over the Opel "eye", with "2" over the word "Atlas", and "Li" for "links"(left) under the "eye", with "1" over "Atlas". The big spool one had an "L" on the hub of the spool. :

I friggin' hate these dang regulators after 40 years of living with them in GT's and them making GT windows the absolute crappiest windows I have ever experienced. While I was searching through the old threads I found a section where I had gotten curious about why there was so much resistance built into them and pics of one particularly crappy one that I took apart. It turns out that that one was particularly crappy because the gear inside had cracked into 3 pieces. Yet, it still worked! Poorly though. The "resistance" in the mechanism is caused by a built in "clutch", whose grip you need to overcome to make the spool turn. It's purpose is to prevent the window from slowly sliding down to the bottom after being rolled up by binding the mechanism. Here's the pics:

Pics are from this thread, which has other useful info and electric window suggestions.:

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
16,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A guy named Uwe Klippert works/worked in Opel related companies and he mentioned that he had some stories and diagrams about the doors/windows/regulators and I asked him for some of that information:

<<<
Uwe Klippert
The company I am working for produced them. At this time the brand name was Atlas. I have the original drawing and some stories from colleges who visited Opel because of issues with the regulator.
<<<

<<< The design of the Opel GT doors is very much progressive. The complete door is one pressed steel part. Not an added glass frame. There is no small triangle glass in the mirror edge. The glass is formed in three dimensions. The concept of the window regulator is simple, but a bit risky. With only one guidance rail the glass is quite long. It is important the lifting point under the glass is before the center of gravity and friction of the glass. So the glass has the tendency to go backwards into the long rubber channel. In case of too much friction in the front channel, the glass will be tilt forward and will stuck. >>>

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hey Gordon, any chance you have any left and right window lifters you want to part with? I don't need the regulators or cables just the lifters.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A guy named Uwe Klippert works/worked in Opel related companies and he mentioned that he had some stories and diagrams about the doors/windows/regulators and I asked him for some of that information:

<<<
Uwe Klippert
The company I am working for produced them. At this time the brand name was Atlas. I have the original drawing and some stories from colleges who visited Opel because of issues with the regulator.
<<<

<<< The design of the Opel GT doors is very much progressive. The complete door is one pressed steel part. Not an added glass frame. There is no small triangle glass in the mirror edge. The glass is formed in three dimensions. The concept of the window regulator is simple, but a bit risky. With only one guidance rail the glass is quite long. It is important the lifting point under the glass is before the center of gravity and friction of the glass. So the glass has the tendency to go backwards into the long rubber channel. In case of too much friction in the front channel, the glass will be tilt forward and will stuck. >>>

View attachment 433355 View attachment 433356 View attachment 433357 View attachment 433358
Hi Gordo,
Would you please tell me which window slider goes to the drivers side and which goes to the passenger side?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts