Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with getting front windshields repaired. I have 2 that will work in a pinch but one has a small crack and the other has a wierd delaminated spot. I've read of the problems with some of the new glass as well as the shipping issues. I kept them because they are getting hard to come by but neither is perfect. Has anybody taken this route with any success?

·
1000 Post Club
1,247 Posts
I just recently had a mishap with my windsheild, causing 2 cracks from top to bottom, about 1/2 way through the glass, and took to a glass repair shop. They said if the crack is touching any edge of the window, it is un-repairable, and pretty much all they can fix is "bullseyes" which is where a stone or whatever hits the glass, and causes a mark that looks like it was shot with a bullet.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Dave, Margaret got a crack in the Montana's windshield about 3 weeks ago from a stone hit just before her trip to Seattle. She let her fingers do the walking and found a repair shop. He stop drilled the crack and did his magic. The crack is barely visisble if you look at it at the correct angle and you have to know where it was to begin with. It went from the pax side bottom 15 inches up and toward the driver's side before it got fixed. It is not perfect, you can still see the crack if you look hard, but it is a viable repair. IMHO.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How much did they charge you?

Ron I saw a bumper sticker this morning that you need. "Definition of retired, I was tired yesterday and I'm tired again today".

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Neat sticker Dave, but it doesn't apply, too much. I don't have time to get tired, just exhausted each day with dogs and car requirements. BTW the windshield repair was right at $80. Far cheaper than to pay the deductible on the insurance or buy the glass outright and pay to have it installed, or all the above. It does look to me, like a good repair. HTH.

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
I've had several chips repaired in other windshields and my insurance paid for each one with zero deductable. It's a safety issue so the deductable doesnt apply. But I think the bill was around $100 give or take a few.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was looking at this becouse I was debating one of the cars Ben found in Utah but all have bad windshields. I've been burning up the phone to see what my options would be. I found a company that checked stock and quoted me 251 for a new one. I had her double check model, stock and price and it came up the same. She told me they are OEM not aftermarket. I asked about drop ship and she is going to call me back. Oh my, will wonders never cease, I look for a repair shop and find stock of OEM glass.

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
You're gonna love this then. Me and 4 other people here in Atlanta collectively bought a GT that rolled down a steep hil and smashed into a tree with its rear end. The guy was so mad he just sold us the whole car for $250. or, $40 each. It had a perfect windshield that I snatched. No chips, no vinal coming off between the panes. Plus I got other goodies off of it.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Dave,

I found Pilkinton Classic Glass at 800 848-1351 they will truck ship it to any where in the 48 states for $90 at a price of $275 for green tinted front glass. They just received 23 in stock from some place in England (Trip something). I hope this helps.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not to burst your bubble, but I got 2 for that price. I've sold 3 pieces from one and made back the money already and on the + side. Multiple inquiries of parts from the second one as well. A discerning eye for Opel parts is a good thing.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok it gets worse, the 251 was mobile installed. Price on Green tint new at 157.21 for just the glass.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After I have 2 confirmed shippings, you bet.

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
Here is a good question concerning this topic. I remeber the talk of a windsheild mfg who made front glass in the states but it didn't fit. If someone has a "bad" front glass, how about calling that mfg and donate the glass as a model for them to use as a templete instead of trashing it!? I only have 2 for my 2 GT's but would love to have one of them replace w/ new.
Just my 2c's

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
my windshield has "scratch"arks on it from the window wipers.. looks like someone didnt have blades on it and turned it on for awhile.. there is something call liquid lenz, but dont know if it'll work.. i really dont want to take it out to get new... glass is good.. just those darn scratchs.. any idea's?

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Glass Repairs

There is a franchise company here called "Novus" that does mobile crack repairs and screen polishing.
At the risk of enraging Nobody: Their TV add shows them call in to a house and saying to the woman who opens the door - "Novus - show us your crack!"
Anyway - they can fix car glass ...... ;)

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh like HTTP://www.novuspolish.com ? What do you think I polished the marker lights with? as for being a prude I'm not. I got a pic today of a skiier with the caption "keep your tips up". I sent a scan to Keith with a disclaimer, but to post it here is outside the rules. Keith, makes you want to Ski Utah doesn't it, or nordic, or snowshoe, maybe even camp out in the snow for a while don't it?

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't know where these are coming from but they say one day for it to be at thier shop. My plan is to go get it on Thursday. I'll take along a known to fit window with a crack for them to see what they can do and compare it to the new one. I asked and they will not ship them. To get it in a day tells me they are in state somewhere. For that price it's definenatly worth a look.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts