Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been taking apart the GT to finally get painted. Got everything done with the help of this wonderful site, except for removing the chrome piece at the bottom of the window that holds the rubber scraper. I read one post that said to slightly bend it, but how? I tried to put a small screwdriver under the middle of it to bend it up, that didn't look to good so I stopped. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
1,973 Posts
I believe that it comes off along with the removal of the actual rubber scraper.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
There is a thread somewhere in the data base of this site that gives explicit instructions to remove the wiindow scraper and polished trim. Before I had the GT painted, I looked, got advice from members, and finally ended up deforming the back end of the strip slightly to get it up and away from the rear door post, then slid it right out by pulling back on the strip. Now that the cars is painted, I surely do not want to install it that way. I know the rubber scraper will slide into the strip will liberal lubing of it. But it's still not an easy task. I'll find out after the paint cures in a bit over 3 weeks. :(

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I tried to search before I posted, and even looked at the threads in the windows/doors forum. If it is that much of a pain I may just leave them on.

·
1,875 Posts
Did anyone come up with a way to remove the chrome trim piece and is it possible to install the new rubber scraper in the trim without taking the trim off the door?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Gordy, I just went through one of my boxes of goodies from OGTS and found the window scraper. It appears the scraper will have to be installed with the trim piece removed. Two reasons that I could see for this. The scraper is a wedge fit in the trim piece and would have to be forced in the whole length of the trim and the trim piece has to be squeezed together a bit to hold the scraper in place. With all that being said, just for grins and giggles I tried to install the trim piece in the door without the scraper and it slid right in place, although a bit tight at the ends, and it too will have to be squeezed a bit to stay in place. HTH.

·
88 Posts
Did it!

I have a Sportwagon with similar trim and scraper. I left a post but didnt get much in the way of solutions. I finally got a butter knife and slid it along the inside side of the rubbber to open up the grove in the trim a bit. I could then see that the rubber had been pinched into place with a peen or center punch every 4 inches or so.

Not wanting to pull the door apart to insert the rubber and peen it again I used the butter knife to open the groove enough to push the new rubber in. Then I put a shop cloth over the top of the glass and the inside of the door and got a 2 inch scraper with a not-too-sharp edge and a rubber mallet. I tapped the trim along the inside to tighten it up while laying the scraper on the top of the glass as close to horizontal as could be.

I finished the job with a peen, again laying it on the cloth covered glass edge and punching each of the original peen dimples back in. The scrapers made it through the last winter without letting water into the doors (and it rained buckets repeatedly). My trim was unmarked by the process.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
window scraper

There is a trick to getting it off. I had the same issue, and Dennis at OGTS gave me the solution. You will need a piece of wood (2x4 Douglas Fir is what I used). cut it the length of the chrome piece, and cut the angles for the front window quide The board should have a wedge in front. Place the board along the chorme strip and take a rubber mallet and hit to board so that the impact is distributed over the whole length of the chrome strip. It is going to take a couple good smacks before it comes loose. Remember the key is to realign the board along the chrome before hitting it with the mallet. It took about six hits to get mine off, and believe me I was biting the finger nails until it came off. I replaced the rubber when the chrome was off (only way you can do it I believe) When replacing, use the same method, but putting it back on is a whole lot easier than taking it off. The idea in both cases it to get the energy distributed over the whole length of the chrome strip before hitting it. Hope that helps. :D

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts