Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ack... the passenger side window on my gt that i just got is all messed up. i can roll it down about 2 inches(its tough) and i can force it down further but i will never get it back up. what could be wrong?
i oiled the middle track thing and it helped just a touch, but not really. and the side tracks are like new so it dont think its that... well maybe. HELP!! i need it up before it starts to rain again... hehe its up but dang its annoying.
mike

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Delicate! Don't Force it...

Don't get too brutal with that window winder as there are delicate diecast gear things in the mechanisim which can be damaged.

You may need to pop the door upholstery off to get a look a t things inside the door. There is a small gear on the winder shaft that meshes with the larger gear that has the wire cable wrapped around it which transfers the winding motion of the handle into the up and down motion of the window itself.

Check that the braket that contains the smaller gear has nor come loose and popped its rivets and make sure that the wee wheels that the cable runs over are free to turn. Also check that the wire has not kinked, stretched or come unwound and slipped off anywhere.

The whole thing is quite ingenious when you see how it all works but a little finese is required when dealing with it. A bit of lubrication here and there also helps;)

Have a look at section 110-12 through 110-14 in the manual too.

·
Senior Contributor
695 Posts
Things to look for that can cause this problem
check crank to make sure it is not all gummed up with old grease, dirt and grime. (Clean- relube with white grease.)
verify that cable is wound correctly on spool, this is what the problem is the majority of the time. Detach clip on slider wind spool with equal amounts of cable (the fun part use some duck tape to hold cable on spool while reinstalling, then remove) reinstall over rollers(also lube) check that cable is taunt, test, roll window crank so the cable runs, it should be smooth to crank in both directions, if not readjust rollers and or handle position. the slider can also be adjusted but this is mainly done to adjust window travel in the channel, which is also done before completion. roll the crank all the way in one direction, roll back the other way counting the revolutions. then roll crank back half way by count revolutions, then roll crank so the cable goes in the down direction stop one revolution short of the half way total of turns. attach cable retaining clip at this point with window glass in the down position. test for operation if binding is still occuring check window channel adjustment the front channel can be adjusted only the back channel is welded in place. the only ajustments left are track guide and position of the glass of the carrier.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.