Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the engine compartment looking pretty good except for my trashy looking washer bottle. Old and yellow. Has anyone tried to clean this item up with any success?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I removed it and used oven degreaser. Looks almost new.

BTW-I'll be in Houston today, so I'll prolly install a lower voltage coil, smaller jets, and try and get it to limp home. Either way, I'll post a few pics of the GT.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i tried to clean one up, without success, i had to find a better one...so in my oppinion your pretty well screwed. i think its the plastic it's self that starts to turn color with age.

·
Über Genius
9,371 Posts
Funny thing about plastic. It actually degrades with exposure to oxygen, moisture, and petroleum based chemicals and fumes. If you can squeeze it without it breaking you can still use it. If the oven degreaser doesn't work, Perhaps you could paint it with Krylons plastic paint. Will look new in your car that way.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
when in doubt theres always the dish washer but dont get caught
put it on the top shelf and remove as soon as wash finishes
will try mine today and post pics of before and after

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Home Appliances!

Baked some enamel in the oven once - got caught and it cost me $1599 for a new thermowave oven. Still, I have the old one in the workshop to bake enamal, warm pies and do illicit "fry-ups" ( baaad for my colesterol so She Who WILL be Obeyed says).

Have seen some of the windscreen washer bottles either replaced with a stainless steel or chromed can or hidden inside one - looks very "custom".

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
its in now while my lady is out
will post result in 45 mins
this message will self delete in 5 weeks

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Oops!

It's and hour later and no update - obviously Baz got caught! :eek:

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
yup
she got me took it out and put it in the sink with a mix of bleach soap powder and orange cleaner
came out purrdy

Attachments

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Opel Lore & Legend

From now on this method of cleaning Opel windscreen washer bottles will be known as the "Mary Method". Thank You, Mary!

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Networking!

A suport group from around the world and he still got caught! :rolleyes:

Still the process worked OK and the results were startling - bet it was that new orange citrus based cleaner that did the job. That and a woman's touch!

My other line is: "Mercy, Mistress! Mercy!

But it may be to late for Baz. :D

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
its ok i've let him off with it, just wont let him wash that big engine in the bath.
(it takes too long to clean after);)

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Mary, Don't let him put that Jag lump anywhere near the bath! It will scratch the sides AND then ends! My Best Lady tells me that a Woman can only put up with so much out of Love. :)

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not sue this what I intended when I started this question but a mixture o bleach, hot water and bar keepers friend made short work on the crud both inside and out side of my bottle. Still a little yellow but much better- think I will still look around for a stainless container to put the bottle inside- but for now- not looking too bad.

( Imitating Captain Barbossa's voice in " Pirates of the Carribean" )
SCOT- Scot- how can you ignore that lovely damsel, Lexi in "Monarch of the Glen" :rolleyes:

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
tilex,sun,and oxiclean

1-I first sprayed it inside and out with TILEX - bleach type bath cleaner,let it set in the sun for a day. then a wind come up and blew it away. I looked and looked...turned up in my neighbors trash bin..."said it was out in the street"

2-then I used concentrated Oxiclean for additional whitening...this is used inside and out, soaking for a day or 2 and several coats. I never cleaned the cap, you can see the before color.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a bag full of (nos) caps for those bottles part # 14 50 550 . IF this will help pm your address i can put one in a envelope and mail it to you.

·
Opeler
127 Posts
And what about the master-cylinder bottle.........
Originaly, it was white like the screen washer bottle but mine is yellow!:banghead:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts