Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am going to replace the windshield and back window gaskets, there is the plastic strip that goes into the groove and I started taking it out and it cracked and snapped so I stopped. Am I doing something wrong? how much does the plastic strip cost?

·
Super Moderator
9,742 Posts
Jordan;
It's difficult to get that strip out without breaking it. You can get new stuff from OGTS, or you can get the "GT/J " front and rear gaskets and not have that strip at all.

·
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
My opel came with the windshield gasket and the back window gasket brand new still in the bag, he just never got around to changing them.

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts
save the plastic

If you already have the new rubber, and the old is Kaput anyway, I recommend gutting the rubber with a utility knife so you can get the plastic out easily. After-all, the rubber is going in the trash anyway, isn't it? Alternatly, find a long flat screwdriver or chisel the same width as the plastic strip and slide it in behind the strip to gently push it out of the rubber. Us as wide a flat edge as you can get in there, sothe tool does the spreading of the rubber and the retainer is just pushed free. It may take a long time, but Opels seem to require that for everything.

Take some vasiline or other petroleum jelly to the plastic strip after you get it out to lubricate and soften it, and don't worry too much about it if it breaks. I have seen windshields seal just fine with as little of the retaining strip as an inch every 8 or so. As long as you have enough pieces to get most of the retainer back in the windshield will hold, it just may not look perfect.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I recently took my windows out to redo the headliner, and don't have this plastic piece in there. Didn't put it back in with it either. I was going to put rubber cement around the glass for water proofing. What is the plastic for?

Jennifer

·
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the plastic spreads out the groove so it helps pushing the gasket flush to the window to seal it, and it also holds the windshield and back window in. so it is very important.

·
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well I am going to breathe life into this thread once more. I now have the back window removed gasket and I am thinking about the windshield. I can take it out by cutting the out side of the gasket off and gently taking the windshield out. Should I try reinstalling the windshield or have it professionally installed? aslo would the "professionals" know how to install an old import car windshield? and aprox how much $$ would it cost to have the windshield and possibly the back window installed? has anyone here ever broken a windshield trying to install it? and if the installer accidently breaks the windshield do they pay for it or is it me?

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
I replaced my GT windshield a few years back. I cut the old gasket off the windshield on the outside as you suggested and then gently pushed the windshield out. The old gasket had basicly become one with the body. It took a good deal of effort, not hard but time consuming to remove all traces of the old gasket. I then used the string and liquid soap trick to put it all back together. If you go slow and pay attention to what you're doing it's not too bad overall. BTW, I used the GT/J gasket from OGTS. It doesn't use the chrome strips...

-Travis

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
I have heard that the GT windshield is very easy to crack, but I have installed and removed three myself and never had a crack, just make sure you have another person there to help you lift it out.

·
Super Moderator
5,883 Posts
I can't say how difficult it is to install a windshield, but I can attest to how easy it is to BREAK one when removing it. So, $700 later, I plan on paying a professional to install it.

As for how much, I have been told $75 to $100 for one end, and about $25 more if they do both front and back at the same time. Get quotes, and make sure that they are capable of doing an older windshield, which is QUITE different than the newer, glue-in types.

JM2CW

·
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Well I called a windshield installer guy, and he said it is $100 to install and if he breaks my windshield I still pay him and he doesn't pay for the windshield. The only time he will pay for a windshield is if it is one of his brand new windshields. Also keith did your windshields break while removing or installing them? because I'm just cutting the gasket completely out because it is garbage anyways, and I have a brand new window gasket. So installing will be the problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a 72 GT for complete restoration and simply cut out the old gaskets exposing as much as the windows (front and rear) as possible. They came out pretty easy. I too heard rumors about the GT windows cracking easy. If that's the case imagine what a small rock would do on the highway.

·
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is the locking strip installation tool really necessary? is it easier? how does it work?

·
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
has anyone ever seen the locking strip installation tool?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Locking strip tool

I highly recommend getting one. Got mine with the new strip for OGTS. It makes installing the strip a breeze. The head has multiple fittings for different strip shapes and sizes so it will be useful for restoration of other cars. A little tip-use small amounts of Armour All to lubricate the strip as you slide the tool along the gasket. Helps prevent binding.

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
gt window

Isn't the idea of removing your winshield to replace the seal anyways? I mean why not replace the seal if the window is out? it's better to have a new seal then to re-use and old one. Also it's alot easier because you can just take a utility knife to the rubber and slice it up and comes out pretty easy that way.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Will the window strip from JCWhitney work

Will one of these work instead of buying from OGTS?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml;$sessionid$Z23P0PYAAARVMQSNDV0SFFCCJUOXKIV0?CATID=65522&BQ=jcw2
wondering about E, F, or G?

and is the striping for the front and the back the same?

·
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I personally wouldn't try to get that to work, you could lose a windshield if it doesn't work and it doesn't have molded corners like the gasket ogts has. What I'm thinking about is the door weather stripping that a company called trim lok has...they have everything! im thinking of [3/8 100 series A 1/16 1/2] I didnt convert it to the site code. http://www.howardtr.com/trimlok/TMLK_P4,5,6,7.pdf

1 - 20 of 35 Posts