Opel GT Forum banner
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Seems to me if the gasket is lubed ( not sealer) but a lube it would aid in it getting seated properly and add that water tight protection.
But I'm no window installing professor.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
16,260 Posts
I have 6 windows on three cars that beg to differ. I’ve never gotten a drop of moisture past the gaskets in my cars even when pressure washing or driving in thunderstorms.
I beg to differ with your differ. I have never seen a GT, and I've seen over a hundred of them, with the windshield removed that didn't have rust forming under the gasket at the bottom of the windshield. This is in New Jersey, of course, where things never truly dry out. There's always humidity and morning dew inundating our cars on a daily basis. Things are considerably drier and less humid in your Texas area of the country.

Let's face it, rubber gaskets of the type and configuration used back in the day were not very high tech or accurate, nor were the mating surfaces of the car, glass, and gasket. Modern cars use a much more sophisticated and water tight glass-glued-to-a-flat-gasket system. My latest car had evidence of sealer on all of the front/rear/side fixed windows when I removed them. Every GT windshield I have ever removed has had sealer on it. It's simply prudent to to use sealer on these low tech gaskets and, apparently, the Germans(also a wet country) thought so, too.

To dismiss the use of sealer as being totally unnecessary I think is an over statement. Yes, most of us treat our cars like garage queens and never drive or leave them out in the rain if we can avoid it, so, for the most part, sealer may not be all that essential. I freely admit that the windows of my fixed up GT's don't have sealer on them, but they are also garage queen show cars that only see a garden hose once a year in the Spring and then get towel dried off. If they do get caught in the rain I rush out with a towel for a wipe down. Or I go for a high speed run on the highway.

·
Über Genius
9,725 Posts
Echoing what Gordo said.
I live in Oregon. It gets wet here. Just a little.
When I did my first GT back in 1981, we replaced the windshield gasket. We did not use sealer. I had mushrooms growing in the carpet the first winter.

The floorboards rusting out aren't because of driving them in the rain as much as they are rusting from the inside to the outside. The door seals suck, and the window gaskets do too unless you add sealant.
My second GT (that I kept) had a sunroof installed. My friends said I'd regret it because sunroofs leak. I added sealant where it mated to the roof and it never leaked once but the windshield gasket did. It did not have a sealant. I never got around to fixing that before I had to send it to Opel Heaven.

Reactions: The Scifi Guy
41 - 43 of 43 Posts