Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this reminded me, I haven't asked this yet.

what should be done first? second? and third?

re-install windshield

install carpet

re-install dash

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
Since you have the window out, put the dash in first. It is a lot easier to get all those screws aligned and in place with the window out.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
and the carpet last? also do I need windshield sealent with new gaskets or will it be fine with out?

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
I have pulled a few windows and haven't seen sealant between the glass and the rubber but I have seen sealant between the rubber and the car body. I can't say for sure if that was done from the factory or by a professional auto glass installer or just a PO trying to fix a leak. Did you buy your window gaskets yet? If so and they were from OGTS or another reputable supplier then I would call them and ask for their professional opinion. These windows are not sealed in place like new cars are. You might as well do the carpet last because why track dirt and what not into the car while installing the dash and the window, especially if you use some type of sealant. How would you feel messing up your new carpeting?

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
they are ogts gaskets, and I dont like the idea of messing up my carpet very much:D

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Instructions from OGTS

There should be a sheet of instruction in with the rubber seals from OGTS.

Locally there is a mobile windscreen installer that charges $NZ35 to put a screen in. A couple of enterprising young lads who are an inspiration to watch! Ask around at your local bodyshops for info.

Here they guarantee a leak-free installation and are insured against glass breakage. Just too good to mess around ones self!

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
hey about sealent the sheet that came with the ogts gaskets says to put some sort of tar based sealer between body and gasket, but i am jus about to be doing this my slef how would u put that sealant in there and not mess up the paint job since i also jus painted my gt??? any ideas out there

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ehh glass places around here will only insure againt installation breakage if you purchase the windshield from them ($390) + $50 installation charge.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the sealent would ge between the body and the gasket. I have a tube of 3M windshield sealent, it goes in a calk gun and costs $11.75. Its really nasty stuff it takes forever to get off your hands and possibly some isophry or denatured alcohol will get it off of the paint.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.