Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so i purchased a new replacement bulb for the winshield washer foot pump from OGTS. When it arrived, I diassembled my foot pump assembly to install the new rubber replacement bulb. After removing the 13mm nut at the bottom of the assembly, I noticed all of this green dust falling on the table. After removing the screw/washer assembly from inside the original bulb, i noticed half of it looked like it disolved and that was the source of the green powder. See pictures attached. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, is someone selling replacement hardware (screw/washer and nut)?

Attachments

·
Bikini Inspector
5,774 Posts
dried up washer fluid or corrosion? doesnt look like any copper in there.

Perhaps a hardware store trip is in your future. Big box hardware stores dont have much, old fashioned ma and pa hardware stores have gold mines for metric etc.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Ok, so i purchased a new replacement bulb for the winshield washer foot pump from OGTS. When it arrived, I diassembled my foot pump assembly to install the new rubber replacement bulb. After removing the 13mm nut at the bottom of the assembly, I noticed all of this green dust falling on the table. After removing the screw/washer assembly from inside the original bulb, i noticed half of it looked like it disolved and that was the source of the green powder. See pictures attached. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, is someone selling replacement hardware (screw/washer and nut)?
Any possibility that it s dried up windshield washer fluid? Bill

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if the blue power is dried up washer fluid, then is the screw that goes in the rubber part the correct shape? it looks very suspecious to me due to all of the pit marks and corrosion on the opposite side not shown in this picture angle.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
if the blue power is dried up washer fluid, then is the screw that goes in the rubber part the correct shape? it looks very suspecious to me due to all of the pit marks and corrosion on the opposite side not shown in this picture angle.
If it is from corrosion, then your bolt, etc, would have to contain a lot of copper. Copper is the only common metal which forms blue compounds of the color which you show. Bill

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
after rereading my original post, I want to clarify one thing. The screw that attaches the bulb to the foot pedal assembly is one piece and not a screw and washer. it is one piece that is not a full circle. It looks like it should be a full circle to fully seal the open bottom of the bellows/ bulb against the foot pedal assembly. Otherwise as it is now, it looks like it will not seal properly when reassembeld.

·
Super Moderator
9,768 Posts
Just to throw this into the works, rather than having to mash down on the bulb, I mounted a "door-bell" like one push button rather than the bulb. Wired it to a small 12v pump (junkyard, ebay, whereever) this way, you slighty touch the pedal, it wipes the mist off the windshield,push a little harder, the wipersgo, and you get washer fluid squirted onto the windshield.
Just my $.02 worth......:yup:

·
Über Genius
9,529 Posts
If it dissolves in Windex then it's dried washer fluid.
If it diesn't then perhaps the spring inside the bulb had copper in it.

I recall, a very long time ago, that I also had a green/brown gunk come out. It was definitely corrosive remnants.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
If it dissolves in Windex then it's dried washer fluid.
If it diesn't then perhaps the spring inside the bulb had copper in it.

I recall, a very long time ago, that I also had a green/brown gunk come out. It was definitely corrosive remnants.
"spring inside the bulb"? there was nothing inside the bulb but what is pictured in my first post. Now the mystery deepens! Is there any pictures out there of how this assembly should be assembled and what the original parts look like?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Bumping this old thread since I have a related question.

I replaced all of my windshield washer parts, including the foot pump rubber bulb (had to make a new fitting with fender washers for the back part, but it's water/air tight), hoses, nozzles, and check valves. Unfortunately, the check valves don't seem to be holding the washer fluid from draining back down. I realize that they use the fluid to lubricate and seal, but they just don't seem to be working. They're both new and from OGTS and installed correctly. I even "primed" the system by pumping all of the air out with the pump, but as soon as they're mounted, one or both of them starts to suck in a small bit of air.

Is there something I should be doing to these check valves to help them hold the fluid in, or is one or both of them possibly defective?

·
Can Opeler
3,690 Posts
One could be defective, but it’s more likely you have a tiny tiny air leak in the hoses somewhere. I had this issue recently too.

·
UngerDog
1,332 Posts
The T fitting on the reservoir could be your problem. The ones that I have show that both arms of the T on top of the reservoir are about 7/64" sized tubes without any valves in there. The bottom of the T that goes into the reservoir has a built in check valve that isn't visible. You know it's there when you blow and suck it. But, I have heard that some T fittings have two built in check valves, one leading to the hood sprayers and the one going into the reservoir.

·
Registered
192 Posts
One could be defective, but it’s more likely you have a tiny tiny air leak in the hoses somewhere. I had this issue recently too.
I spent a bit of time on this last night and noticed that if I wiggle the new hoses at the fittings, some air bubbles do get in the hose near the T on the hood, so they aren't sealing well for some reason. One of the check valves also doesn't hold either. So it looks like a bit of this, a bit of that. I'm going to try some self-amalgamating/fusing tape at the connections to see if that can seal them.

The T fitting on the reservoir could be your problem. The bottom of the T that goes into the reservoir has a built in check valve that isn't visible. You know it's there when you blow and suck it. But, I have heard that some T fittings have two built in check valves, one leading to the hood sprayers and the one going into the reservoir.
I'll give this a look, too. All original parts in the reservoir end, so who knows!

·
Can Opeler
3,690 Posts
I put a bit of electrical heat shrink on my hoses where the connect to the fittings:) solved the issue.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I finally got this working after replacing one of the check valves with a new one and sealing up the hose connections with high tack gasket sealer. The new plastic washer hose doesn't keep an airtight grip on the connectors once it deforms to the shape of the male connector.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts