Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to try and hook the windshield washer back up. Is there a good write up somewhere on how to do this? I looked but nothing under Windshield Washer.

Jennifer ( need something to do while waiting for new steering column)

PS: Where can you buy fusible links?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yea

I was thinking maybe I should clarify what I need to do.

The pedal seems to be hooked up correctly. The bottle was in my "Car parts bag" when I purchased the car, but no hoses. Where do I go from there.

Thanks pvcar for the location of fusible links.. I searched the web at different car parts stores and nothing..maybe they call it something else.

Jennifer

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Re: Oh yea

opelgal33 said:
I was thinking maybe I should clarify what I need to do.

The pedal seems to be hooked up correctly. The bottle was in my "Car parts bag" when I purchased the car, but no hoses. Where do I go from there.

Thanks pvcar for the location of fusible links.. I searched the web at different car parts stores and nothing..maybe they call it something else.
The local fish and pet store or any auto parts dealer should have the hose- I got mine at Super Wal-Mart along with the electric water pump.

·
Super Moderator
5,928 Posts
I thought that I had participated in a discussion on windshield washers. I did a search for "washers", and found the thread in question:

http://www.opelgt.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1009&highlight=Washer

(there is also a bunch of stuff on mufflers; if I get bored some night, I'll split the thread. Or not, since that will probably wreck the link above)

If you have more questions after reading the thread, ask away!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Keith.

I took the pedal off and sure enough the bellow connection was rotten. I am going to see if I can get another one. Such a cute concept.

Jennifer

·
82 Posts
I use the foot pedal to actuate the wipers and an electrical pump. As a result, I don’t need a bellows, or a tube from the foot pump to the canister. The trick is to use a diode to keep the pump from spraying the whole time the wipers are spraying.

·
Super Moderator
5,928 Posts
So you just took a wire from the "hot" side of the wiper foot switch and ran it to a washer fluid pump? Clever! But what is this "diode" you refer to? How does it keep the pump from running? And where does it fit in the circuit?

I kinda liked my solution, which was to install a normally closed push switch in place of the bellows, that activates an aftermarket washer pump. You just plug one end of the washer bottle tee on the cap, and use the other end as the suction for the pump.

The first motion down activates the wiper arm, while pushing further sprays fluid on to the windshield. Although I wish it were in reverse order, to keep from wiping the windshield with dry wipers. I presume you get wipers and washers at the same time?

·
82 Posts
The front two leads are the normally open circuit. When the pedal is pressed, it supplies power to the wiper motor. Once the wipers are past a certain point, the wipers get power through the switch actuated by the wipers position. The problem is that that puts a voltage potential on the side of the foot pedal which usually doesn’t have power, and if you splice a pump in to the line, the pump runs whenever the wipers do, and that includes when the regular wiper switch is turned on. The solution is to splice the pump motor in and then insert a diode which only allows current flow one way. E.g. through the foot pump switch to the wipers and the pump, but not from the wiper motor to the pump. The advantage is it can all be done without removing the foot pump or modifying it an any way.

·
82 Posts
Do you know what else is fun. Find a gullible person, take them for a ride, snap your fingers while pushing the foot pedal. It works for you, but not for them. Thell them they are doing it wrong. Repeat...:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts