Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not nearly a long a list as last year but I just put the GT on jack stands and my list includes;

Repair fuel sending unit
Reupholstered rear deck
Shorty header
Install lap belts
Service carb

Bummer dropped my iPad taking pictures and screen is destroyed. Add repair iPad to the list.

Attachments

·
Registered
885 Posts
mine is
figure out how to get lower control arm bushings installed so I can put the front end back together
Take for drive
tune carb (hasn't run right since I redid the fuel system? was fine before)
redo rear end
tackle oil leaks
start rear interior
Not necessarily in that order but we'll see what happens

·
Opeler
642 Posts
Unfortunately I've got a decent list of things ahead of me:

Must do:
Patch/fix silver-dollar sized rust spot in floor
Patch/fix rust in driver rocker
Clean up mold/mildew on dash & center console from car being in storage
Install dynamat & dynapad
Install all new carpet
Install new seals on transmission to hopefully stop a leak

Hope to do:
Install A/C, compressor, condenser, lines, etc which would also necessitate:
Creation of new center console
Creation of modified dash & instrument panel for vents & controls

Fingers crossed for a productive winter!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Big List, Car is currently stripped to just a shell. Hope I can get it done by summer. It's all going to depend on how fast the painter gets it back to me.
New paint.
Redesigned front spoiler with tube grill.
New rear spoiler with backup camera.
Door handles removed and electric door openers.
Full stainless AN brake lines and hoses.
Rewire from firewall forward.
Tilt steering column.
New HP engine.
Ceramic coating the header.
Lizard skin sound deadener and heat barrier in engine bay.
And I'm sure there will be an unbelievable amount of small things that will get replaced or modified during reinstall.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Big List, Car is currently stripped to just a shell. Hope I can get it done by summer. It's all going to depend on how fast the painter gets it back to me.
New paint.
Redesigned front spoiler with tube grill.
New rear spoiler with backup camera.
Door handles removed and electric door openers.
Full stainless AN brake lines and hoses.
Rewire from firewall forward.
Tilt steering column.
New HP engine.
Ceramic coating the header.
Lizard skin sound deadener and heat barrier in engine bay.
And I'm sure there will be an unbelievable amount of small things that will get replaced or modified during reinstall.
Your list sounds really good. A couple of things caught my eye. "New rear spoiler with backup camera." I installed a Wireless back up camera on my Durango. It really is nice to have, you can set the Camera up to be "Always On". It would be of great benefit to have one on the Gt.
"Door handles removed and electric door openers." Do you have Destecs article? Wayne Torman, did an Excellent Article on this. I have a copy if you need it. Take care, Jarrell

·
Registered
266 Posts
Well, it was supposed to be a summer project, but, I guess it's a winter project now:

Big goal is to get it my electric GT to a condition where it will pass its out-of-province inspection, so it can be registered, insured, and parked somewhere other than private property. Then I'm not beholden to borrowing someone's garage to work on it.

Thing I must do to pass inspection/park it on a road/move it around:
- Weld body back together
- Build speed control board to control inverter (parts on their way)
- Actually get the speed controller to work with the motor
- Fabricate a coupler for the electric motor to the prop shaft
- Build mounts and mount motor
- Build mounts and mount controller
- Buy/mount accelerator pedal
- Create/mount electric "shifter" to select R/N/F, maybe just toggle switch
- Replace windshield and rear glass rubber, and remount windows
- Move/replace brake booster and MC closer to firewall, rebuild/replace all brake lines
- Rebuild/reinstall wiring harness
- Make minimal set of gauges functional
- Add/fab electric heater core
- Add/fab wiper reservoir, pump & lines
- Drill out hood bolts, bend hood back into shape and reassemble hood mechanism
- Reassemble light, seats (need rails), belts, steering rack, dash, trim, mirrors, wipers, etc
- Use rims that fit and buy/mount tires with tread
- More things I probably forgot
- Wow even this list is a lot longer and more intimidating than I thought it would be

Notably absent from the list, is to even make a battery pack. I don't know how fast it has to drive in order to pass an inspection (if at all?), but a pair of old car batteries behind the seats will be enough to scoot it around at low speeds, move it to inspection and back and move around the community.

Things to make the car less of a hackjob and actually usable at highway speeds:
- Cut away floor of parcel shelf and rebuild with battery boxes
- Build and mount battery
- Decide and build cargo deck over battery boxes
- Add a charger, convert gas cap to charge port
- Repair rear wheel well rust-throughs and touchup essential painting
- Swap locks from yellow donor to orange doors
- Repair window mechanisms, install (nicer) yellow door cards
- Have an interior (have new carpets and fabric in a box)
- Replace some of the worn/crumbled rubber components (not even sure which, just anything typically rotted)
- Add cooling loop for inverter, maybe motor, maybe batteries
- Add actual electric heat, replace the surely hackjob I installed before
- Get matching set of wheels and add winter tires (it'll probably be winter again next year by this point)

Things to upgrade and/or make the car less embarrassing to drive:
- Clean up/paint wheels
- Add stereo, speakers, wiring
- Add some USB jacks
- Fill/convert hole in trans tunnel I probably plugged with plywood to be cargo compartment or something (no shifter)
- Clean up hood rust and re-epoxy hood frame back to hood supports
- Convert door windows to electric
- Convert pop-out windows to electric
- Convert locks to power, (and remote?)
- Convert lights to LED
- Make all the gauges do something useful, rear-cam, etc
- Get regenerative braking working if it wasn't already
- Add heated seats
- Add front and rear swaybars
- Add support, box, and carpeting to create frunk
- Add A/C
- Add remote heating (and/or tablet with data plan, to monitor/control things via internet)
- Upgrade to less faded lenses and trim
- Sand, prime, paint

Even if each of these things is only one evening's work (and most of them won't be), that's still 47 days of work. Depressing amount. Even the 17 quick hackjobs to get it insured is a lot of work. :/

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Well, it was supposed to be a summer project, but, I guess it's a winter project now:

Big goal is to get it my electric GT to a condition where it will pass its out-of-province inspection, so it can be registered, insured, and parked somewhere other than private property. Then I'm not beholden to borrowing someone's garage to work on it.

Even if each of these things is only one evening's work (and most of them won't be), that's still 47 days of work. Depressing amount. Even the 17 quick hackjobs to get it insured is a lot of work. :/
Heck, I won't even go there with a quote. Only thing I have to say is: :confused::cool: Don't know what to say. Very impressive list. Hope you can do it, and we await further results.
I Got Nothing. Jarrell

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pulled out the rear gas tank cover and pulled the sending unit.

I put in my used sending unit with 2 bolts and still no action on the gauge. Grr. There is no connectivity from the little brass spring to the housing. I get good resistance from the electrical connector to the brass spring at empty and full. But nothing at the bolt holes.

On a good note the tank looks ok.

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Here is my used sending unit. What should I try to get connectivity from the brass spring to the housing?

I cleaned it some after this picture.

The last picture above is the inside of the tank. I keep going back and forth on pulling it and doing something to clean it. Opinions?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,601 Posts
On a good note the tank looks ok.
The last picture above is the inside of the tank. I keep going back and forth on pulling it and doing something to clean it. Opinions?
Umm, based on the tank photo and the photo of the fuel sender, that tank has had at least several inches of water sitting in the bottom of it for several years, and it is badly corroded. IMNSHO, it needs to come out, be thoroughly cleaned at a radiator shop, and hopefully repaired and sealed, but more likely replaced.

As for the sending unit, read this thread:

https://www.opelgt.com/forums/1e-other-electrical-gauges-instrument-panel/90217-fuel-gauge-sender-unit.html

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Well here goes mine: Remove the gauge cluster and put LED lights in the gauges, then hook up the new controls for the heater, so it works. The last thing I have to do is put in the fuel tank sensor, already have it from OGTS, got it about six months ago, but too lazy to put in it. I am not looking forward to taking the gauge cluster out, but I can do one of my "projects" without doing it. Not looking forward to the gas tank sensor either, have to pull out the Fuel pump cut off before I can do anything in the back area. I guess I will start today and drop the gauge cluster, actually took the screws out last night, then remembered that I had to drop the steering wheel, that's when I stopped. The good news is nothing else need to be done, just drive it, sounds like more fun that working on it. I will post another Picture of my steering wheel holder to put the steering wheel back in. It is just a piece of wood, but it saves a ton of frustration getting the steering wheel back in.

Bob

·
RunOpel
809 Posts
Bob I feel for you, both of those projects are not fun. Not hard, just time consuming and a pain in the rear. I’m planning to change out my dash lights to LED as well. I’m curious to see your steering wheel set up.

If it was me pfj, I would get a new fuel tank sender from OGTS. And I would pull the tank and have it cleaned and sealed if necessary.

Good luck both of you.

·
Registered
178 Posts
mine is
figure out how to get lower control arm bushings installed so I can put the front end back together
Take for drive
tune carb (hasn't run right since I redid the fuel system? was fine before)
redo rear end
tackle oil leaks
start rear interior
Not necessarily in that order but we'll see what happens
My car ran terrible when I first got it. I pulled the carb apart and found one of the jet screws very loose which could explain the issues but the main culprit was the small filter screen at the fuel inlet. It was clogged with rust. It may not be the case for you since you've redone your fuel system but it's something to check. What are you going to do to your rear end?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Install a new 2.4 engine with Opel Motronic FI.

Maybe redo my filler neck again.

Maybe test fit and install '75 Manta license plate light posts on my rear-bumper-less GT. I've currently got LED lights attached to my plate bolts and they kinda suck and they're starting to degrade and rust.

View attachment 390669 View attachment 390671
New Engine? Just curious, what does that cost?

·
Registered
178 Posts
My winter project is the whole car and I'm expecting it to be my summer project as well. Probably the next winter too. Rebuilding the front suspension at the moment. Steering rack next.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
13,785 Posts
Here is my used sending unit. What should I try to get connectivity from the brass spring to the housing?

I cleaned it some after this picture.

Throw it away, buy a new one.

:yup:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts