Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Vendor
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking outside today at the mix of rain and sleet make me admit that it's finally time to put the car away until next spring. :(
Anything I need to do before my GT settles in for its "long Winters nap?"
The car is in the garage (unheated, but dry)
Disconnect the battery? Trickle charger? Dry gas?
Thanks,
Ron in Indy

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
test the antifreeze, changing oil is never bad, drain the gas or dry gas as you stated (it'll be crap in the spring time chances are anyway) and if mice are a problem, leave shavings of irish springs bar soap on the carpets, on the dash, engine compartment ect, anywhere mice dont need to be, which is the whole car. getting the car up off the concrete helps with rust.

·
Vendor
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
greensmurf20 said:
test the antifreeze, changing oil is never bad, drain the gas or dry gas as you stated (it'll be crap in the spring time chances are anyway) and if mice are a problem, leave shavings of irish springs bar soap on the carpets, on the dash, engine compartment ect, anywhere mice dont need to be, which is the whole car. getting the car up off the concrete helps with rust.
Thanks Jared,
Good suggestions all.
Irish Spring huh?
Could start a whole new ad campaign:
"Strong enough for a man, but mice say P-U" :D
Ron in Indy

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
yep irish springs....a friend of my dads kept his 62 ranchero here last winter, and mice do get in the barn in the winter time, see the occasionally. not a signle sign of mice in his ranchero after all winter hibernation, i guess he heard it quite a few years ago and to his experiences, it must work.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I winterize lots of boats for people here in Kalispell, and there's a couple things I do to them that would apply to cars going into winter storage.
Yes, change the oil! Your old oil has acids in it that will eat the bearings.
I hate empty gas tanks. That causes rusting from the condensation that will occur inside the tank. Fill it up and treat the fuel with Sta-Bil. Magic stuff!! After changing oil and treating gas run it a bit to work the fresh oil through the engine, and to get the treated gas into the carburetor. You'll smell the Sta-Bil in the exhaust.
Charge and disconnect the battery.
It wouldn't hurt to put the car on jackstands, gets the tires off the floor and the weight off the springs. Makes it harder for mice to move in, too.

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
If you have a nice uncracked steering wheel, remove the horn cap and remove the 6 hex head screws and take the wheel into a nice warm house. This will help prevent the wheel from cracking over the winter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts