Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The passenger side wiper arm on my GT is stripped and no longer meshes with the shaft serrations. As a result the shaft turns and the wiper arm sits still. Anyone else run across this? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
I think they can be replaced with a new one. Never had that problem so it's just a guess. If I remember right there are bolts that hold it in place along with the mechanism that make it work. Also check the wiper blade to see if it stripped. I might not be the spindle that it sits on. Hope you get it fixed, maybe others have some better ideas on how to fix it.

Bob

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I think they can be replaced with a new one. Never had that problem so it's just a guess. If I remember right there are bolts that hold it in place along with the mechanism that make it work. Also check the wiper blade to see if it stripped. I might not be the spindle that it sits on. Hope you get it fixed, maybe others have some better ideas on how to fix it.Bob
I believe you are correct Bob, Bob (Dugan), have you downloaded the FSM here on the board? It might give you an answer. Also have you done a search on the main board? It might show up. Bob here is a Google search from the main board, windshield wiper site:www.opelgt.com .... Here is the 73 Gt FSM.https://www.opelgt.com/forums/downloads.php Hth, Jarrell

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,123 Posts
Some of us take off the passenger side wiper because it doesn't really contribute much and it reduces chatter if you have a worn wiper mechanism. Some of us who do car shows take both wipers off for looks and only keep the driver's side, plus the nut and a wrench, in the car if we get caught in the rain.

I probably have the passenger side pivot mechanism in my basement. You can have it.

That said, you could probably salvage what you have either temporarily or permanently with basic mechanic tricks. The problem is that you need to create some texture for the 2 mating surfaces to grab. The metal is fairly soft, you could take a center punch and a hammer and put a whole bunch of dimples on the cone-shaped part of the pivot shaft and maybe some inside the wiper arm hole. Or maybe a few slashes with a chisel or a hack saw. The serrations on the stock wiper arm and shaft were pretty minimal to begin with, it shouldn't take much effort to create enough texture to do the job. Jamming a bit of copper dish washing scouring pad or steel wool into the wiper hole before you slide it on might work.

It may be that your present wiper is "egged out" or worn from being loose and is now too big to grab the pivot shaft. The cure may be to simply get a new wiper arm.

Lots of people have wiper assemblies they could probably send you.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Some of use take off the passenger side wiper because it doesn't really contribute much and it reduces chatter if you have a worn wipermechanism. Some of us who do car shows take both wipers off for looks and only keep the driver's side, plus the nut and a wrench, in the car if we get caught in the rain.

I probably have the passenger side pivot mechanism in my basement. You can have it.

That said, you could probably salvage what you have either temporarily or permanently with basic mechanic tricks. The problem is that you need to create some texture for the 2 mating surfaces to grab. The metal is fairly soft, you could take a center punch and a hammer and put a whole bunch of dimples on the cone-shaped part of the pivot shaft and maybe some inside the wiper arm hole. Or maybe a few slashes with a chisel or a hack saw. The serrations on the stock wiper arm and shaft were pretty minimal to begin with, it shouldn't take much effort to create enough texture to do the job. Jamming a bit of copper dish washing scouring pad or steel wool into the wiper hole before you slide it on.

Lots of people have wiper assemblies they could probably send you.
Gordo, You hit the nail on the Head on both counts. I was going to look through my "stuff" in the Am, as well. Take care, Good luck Bob, Jarrell

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
Well I was right this time. There are three bolts that hold the part that is stripped. Undo the bolts and remove the linkage so you have just the part that you think is stripped. I don't think anyone makes replacement parts, so you are going to have to locate one. Here on the forum, many folks have a spare GT for parts. You should be able to find one that way. I am not sure if the right and left sides are the same, but you can specify what you need.

Bob

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As usual, thanks to everyone who replied, I'm noticing that one of the benefits of owning a GT is this forum and the people here. I'm 67, not an auto mechanic and have worked on all of my cars to some degree or the other. Much of the time was spent scratching my head saying WTF? Now with the internet I still say WTF but I go online and find answers to the majority of my questions. My car came with a couple of service manuals and a bunch of Opel gt Source tech notes so I can refer to them.
Yeah, the hole is egged out. My first thought was to use a low temp solder to fill the hole and then drill it. My second was is it aluminum or pot metal. Third was find a replacement. I liked the idea of no wiper keeping it in the car, one wiper is a good idea too but I want the car to be stock and working well when the day comes to sell it. Soybean, interesting name, if you have the pivot I'd be honored to adopt it. How do we do this?
I've been replacing headlight wires and painting the engine compartment lately and have been putting tools and stuff on the windshield. My wipers weren't working at all so I climbed under the dash with a test light. I bumped the #1 fuse and the wipers began to sweep my tools across the garage. She wanted a diamond and I bought an Opel. The diamond would have been easier but not as cool.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
As usual, thanks to everyone who replied, I'm noticing that one of the benefits of owning a GT is this forum and the people here. I'm 67, not an auto mechanic and have worked on all of my cars to some degree or the other. Much of the time was spent scratching my head saying WTF? Now with the internet I still say WTF but I go online and find answers to the majority of my questions. My car came with a couple of service manuals and a bunch of Opel gt Source tech notes so I can refer to them.
Yeah, the hole is egged out. My first thought was to use a low temp solder to fill the hole and then drill it. My second was is it aluminum or pot metal. Third was find a replacement. I liked the idea of no wiper keeping it in the car, one wiper is a good idea too but I want the car to be stock and working well when the day comes to sell it. Soybean, interesting name, if you have the pivot I'd be honored to adopt it. How do we do this?
I've been replacing headlight wires and painting the engine compartment lately and have been putting tools and stuff on the windshield. My wipers weren't working at all so I climbed under the dash with a test light. I bumped the #1 fuse and the wipers began to sweep my tools across the garage. She wanted a diamond and I bought an Opel. The diamond would have been easier but not as cool.
Bob, Gordo has a pivot point off and in his basement. I'd have to hunt one up in a bunch of "stuff", if I couldn't find one, pull one off a parts car. See what he will can do in the A.M. If no go, let me know.
Jarrell

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You've already determined that the arm is egged out, so call OGTS or OU and get new one(s) first. No need to mess with the pivot at this point.

:veryhappy
I searched OGTS for windscreen/windshield wipers and came up with no results. For sure I'd rather buy a new arm if I could find one. Thanks for the OU idea. I'd not been to their site until today and yup, they list new wiper arms. I have to stop assuming that parts are hard to find for a 50 year old GT. Apparently most parts are available either new or used. Thanks guys for offering to help with finding the part.

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
I searched OGTS for windscreen/windshield wipers and came up with no results. For sure I'd rather buy a new arm if I could find one. Thanks for the OU idea. I'd not been to their site until today and yup, they list new wiper arms. I have to stop assuming that parts are hard to find for a 50 year old GT. Apparently most parts are available either new or used. Thanks guys for offering to help with finding the part.
Umm, you might want to review your search techniques... :)

This took me about 5 seconds:

https://www.opelgtsource.com/search/3393/details

A bit pricey at $120, but that is for two, and brand new. I suggest you call Opel GT Source directly at 1(800) 673-5487, chat w/ Gil Wesson (or Richard Kavadas) and ask if they will sell you one, or if they have used arms. They often have used parts that they don't list.

As for Opels Unlimited, they will almost certainly have used wiper arms. Almost certainly NOT new ones, but hey, I've been wrong in the past. Todd Martin is the guy, but be prepared to call very late in the day, as his hours are noon to midnight, Pacific time. Their nickname is "Opels Unreachable".... Shipping times have reportedly improved, but some folks have had less than stellar results. I'll leave it to you to decide.

·
Read Only
1,277 Posts
P.J. Interesting and cheap. I bet most of us could fabricate something similar. Bob if it was me, I would just buy a new one from OGTS, you would be happier.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Umm, you might want to review your search techniques... :)

This took me about 5 seconds:

https://www.opelgtsource.com/search/3393/details

A bit pricey at $120, but that is for two, and brand new. I suggest you call Opel GT Source directly at 1(800) 673-5487, chat w/ Gil Wesson (or Richard Kavadas) and ask if they will sell you one, or if they have used arms. They often have used parts that they don't list.

As for Opels Unlimited, they will almost certainly have used wiper arms. Almost certainly NOT new ones, but hey, I've been wrong in the past. Todd Martin is the guy, but be prepared to call very late in the day, as his hours are noon to midnight, Pacific time. Their nickname is "Opels Unreachable".... Shipping times have reportedly improved, but some folks have had less than stellar results. I'll leave it to you to decide.
I searched for windshield wipers and came up with nothing. I talked with Richard at OGTS and ordered the pair. If one is worn the other isn't far behind. Thanks.

·
Senior Contributor
1,623 Posts
I'm a retired plumber. I had a handle puller which would have worked well. I searched for it and realized that I sold it with the business. Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like a good tool.
OK this is just an idea,, because most of the arms get stripped out... heck mine are stripped out,,, but I also hardly use them, and are Powder coated.... What I did was I got a 10mm S.S. Cap Nut for the post... then a S.S. Star Washer for the arm post,,
When you tighten it all up the star washer will grip into the arm casting and it will hold nicely...
just don't keep fulukking around with them and they hold just fine LOL.. just mu honest opinion... Gosh the new arms nice hopes those are Stainless Steel too .. but.. again there are different arms for different years too.. some will hit the hood when it's raining ( Believe 69 Arms have not a wing)

Use RAINX that stuff works Great on our little cars,,, the water just sheets right off.. enough of the annoying wipers,,, you'll see

·
Opeler
120 Posts
I had a similar problem with my Opel, if you get a new arm make sure the serrations on the pivot are clean, my had become filled with the soft metal that the arms are made of.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts