Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a general cross reference available for the various GM lubricants used on the Opel (I'm working on a 72 GT and have a 70 as backup and reference). In particular I was wondering about the grease within the wiper motor assembly - what have people been using. I hate buying a large quantity of something when only a little isused and probably won't be used again. Thanks!was wondering:confused:

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
I have actually never had to lube that part as mine worked fine and already still looked lubed from the factory. Anyway any grease will work. The tub of grease that I have is probably from the seventies and it still is almost full, so you probably wont use it often, but it is rather cheep

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Synthetic Mobil-stuff

I can never remember the name of the stuff, but both Mobil and Valvoline make great high temperature, all or blended synthetic grease that works great for everything. It is super "sticky" and resists washing off well, making it great for chassis lubrication, as well as the usual transmission linkage, wiper gear boxes and ball joints, headlight and parking brake cables, door and hood hinges, and the like. It is also suitable for wheel bearings and u-joints, so you really will find yourself using the stuff!

Besides it is less than $10 a tube, and for the horrible screaching associated with a dry wiper motor to go away that is a bargain even if you throw it away!

·
Opel Intern
1,290 Posts
So just about every ciruit in my GT is working, and because of that I have only just found out that the wiper system is not functioning. All of the electrical connections are good (I just redid them), but there is simply too much friction in the mechanical parts of the system. I have decided, after I get rid of the stubborn rusted bolts on the driver's side cowl, that I will rebuild the wiper linkages and motor if need be and then never worry about it again.

I understand that this is an old thread, so are there any new opinions on what grease I should use in the motor and on the linkage parts?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Jay - The kid who can't sleep because he is days away from driving this puppy!

·
1000 Post Club
4,118 Posts
I would think some dielectric grease would be in order since there are electrical contacts for slow, fast and rest phase of the motor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts