Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wires for hook up????

hi, i finally got time to lower the steering colum, and take out the dash cluster, to take out that reproduction tape deck, to put in a cd player. and well the tape deck didnt work well i bought the car so i didnt think nothing of it. when i took it out it was not hooked up by anthing, but by the antenna plug. i could not fing the other hook ups, i need help!!!!!!

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i couldnt' determine if your trying to hook up the old sterio to see if it works or if your just putting the new one in anyway....? if its the old one i can't help you, i've never had the dash out of a GT wtih a working AM radio. and if your hookin up the new one you'll probably have to just wire directly into the fuseblock so you dont have to tie into the factory harness and F*** it up.
New Radio:

Black-Ground (i ground onto the firewall)
Blue-Remote (probably wont have this)
Red-accessory (ONLY becomes hot when key is ON)
Yellow-Hot (ALWAYS hot for memory)
Speaker wires (self explanitory)

red and yellow might be switched around, so double check those, i can't go and check my car right now as its stripped down and currently having body work done....yay.

seems to me that when i first got my new GT the AM radio didnt work and i tried to find the plug in for it because i didnt think it was hooked up and didnt find it. put a fuse in it cuz one was missing and it mysterousely began to work.

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
I agree, probably best to just hook it all up with new wires and connections. The stock GT has (if I remember right) a green and green/black wire to feed the single rear speaker, and a single switched power supply. If you are running two speakers to the back you probably wouldn't want to run different kinds of wires to feed them anyway. In the old days when I was into car radios, we usually put an in-line noise supresssor to stop ignition noise whine. The fewer splices in the power supply, the better.
I looked at that link and didn't see wiring instructions. If you need help figuring which wire goes to what, post all the different colors and we'll see if we can figure it out.

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts
instructions?

Did the radio not come with instructions?

The factory radio only has 4 wires plus the antenna, one (+), one ground, and 2 wires that go to the one speaker. You wouldn't have been able to use any of it for your new set-up. You will have to run all new wires for the whole works, and that "kit" should have all the wires you need.

The red wire needs to go to one of the first three fuses, and the yellow needs to go to fuse #4. Ground the black wire to the chassis, route your speaker wire to the speaker locations and call it done.

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fuse block?

im a stupid person ok. old opel guy, does it matter which one of the 3 fuses???? im a new opeler so where is the fuse block located?
a pic could be useful

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
the fuse block is right above the drivers feet located at the top of the footbox underneath the dash. i've seen pics of them before here but i dont know where they are at. its easy to spot, it is a black plastic box where all of your dash electrical connections plug into and where your steering column connectors plug into, and it should have seven fuses like the old volkswagen's. hard to explain what they look like but you'll know what they are when you see them.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I do believe all aftermarket radios have an inline fuse installed in their harness. It is just a matter of hooking up that wire to one of the 4 studs in the center of the fuse block. Which one you use would determine if the radio can be on all the time or on with the key on. Of course the speaker and antenna wires should be shown in the schematics. My personal preference is to have the radio wired on all the time and I turn it off at the power/volume knob/switch. Or in the case of the Sony in the motorhome, it's turned on with the source button.

HTH.

Ron

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
push button start switch!!!!!

the guy i bought it off of made it where you have to put the key in and turn it then press this button to make it start. he also has an after market window wipper. so i dont want to screw any thing up so if that info can help you let me know....

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fuses?????

ok i went out and looked at it. on the left side there are 4 fuses. here they are in order of color. (left to right) 1. white2. white 3. clear 4. pink. right side ones are all clear. here are my questions.
1. black is ground where does it go?
2. red says "acc" where does it go?
3yellow says "battery" where does it go?
4. inst the system remote control one for an amp???
5. the rest goes to the speakers right??

·
273 Posts
The 4 nuts on the center of the Fuse Block are HOT ALL THE TIME--key on or key off.

I put a drawing of it up "here" somewhere. Anyone know where that was?

I think it was under LED Tail Light Group Buy--yea, I am sure that is whre I put it.

JJ

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
but what wires go to what fuses???? be simple and direct

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts
Red wire to either the top or the bottom of any of the three fuses farthest to the drivers side. Since there is a fuse in the red wire it doesn't matter which one, just find any one with an empty tab. They all will work exactly the same.

Yellow wire goes to the 4th fuse over, on top or bottom as long as it has a fuse, if no fuse, bottom only.

Black wire gets screwed to something metal attached to the chassis. Either drill a new hole for a screw or find one already there. It has to be something metal, not plastic.

The rest of the wires are either for the speakers or stuff you don't have, like the power antenna (blue wire or blue with white stripe) or a cell phone mute (pink wire). Attach the speaker wires (+) to the (+) terminal on the appropriate speaker and (-) to the (-).

If all else fails, route the speaker wires to their speakers and hook them up, route the red, black and yellow wires to the fuse box area, put the radio, dash, and steering wheel back in, and take the car to a stereo shop to let them hook up the last 3 wires. They probably won't charge you too much to hook up 3 wires.

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just making Sure!!!

hey, tell me if i am going to do this right.
1. un-hook the '-' part of the battery.
2. hook the red to one of the three first fuses starting from the left.
3. hook the yellow to the 4th one or the pink one.
4. hook the ground, black one to the chassis.
5. hook the speakers up.
6. reinstall the bettery and im done.
will the cd player only work when i turn the key right?
im sorry for being annoying but i dont want to screw up my baby.

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
works good

hey, thanks to all you helpfull people i got it in and working, thats again. bye

·
Registered
97 Posts
Stereo Failure

I know how to hook up the stereo to the fuse block, and have tested the red and yellow wires with a test light, and still there is no power to the stereo. Could the ground have anything to do with it?? Also I have replaced all fuses, in case that was one of your suggestions, and the stereo, a Jensen, is brand new. Any input????

1972 OPEL GT

JEN

·
70's Opeler, back 4 more!
398 Posts
Get an ohm meter or a light bulb with wires soldered to it. Check that you have electricity to the location you have the stereo wired to. If no electricity, try turning the key on. Some of the fuses require the key on to allow electricity to them.

You can also take your stereo and hook it directly up to your battery to verify it is working well before continuing.

Do you have lights in your dash working?

You might try another fuse to see if you have electricity there. You could attach your stereo to that location.

"When you have ruled out all the possibilities, the only thing left, regardless of how improbable, is the answer." Spok

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
If you have power past the in-line fuses to the stereo and no obvious power at the stereo- no lights on, no noise, no static- it could indeed be a ground problem.

·
101st Airborne 1/327 Inf
1,322 Posts
I purchased a stereo w/CD recently and had a yellow wire to the battery, red wire to the fusebox, and a black wire to ground, Check your manual again referencing the ground wire.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts